Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)


Frequenlty Asked Qustions

Counseling is a relationship with a person who is professionally trained to help discuss concerns in a way that clarifies one's thoughts and feelings. This helping relationship leads to increased self-understanding and more effective behavior.

More Information About Our Counseling Services

The Office of Counseling Services is located at 636 Gamble Street. We are located across from FAMU Village Residence Hall. Click here to view a map.
Students currently enrolled for classes are charged a student health fee (currently $6.91 per credit hour) along with their tuition. This health fee entitles students to access mental health and physical health services. Students not enrolled for a summer term or recent graduates may pay a health fee (currently $103) that will allow them access to our provided services for one semester.
Ordinarily, scheduling of sessions, included length of time, is done on a case-by-case basis.
While the college experience is often exciting and enjoyable, it can also be quite stressful. It is important to address the stressors and concerns in your life so you can focus on being academically successful.

The Office of Counseling Services offers a wide variety of services to meet the needs of the students. Our services include individual counseling, group counseling, couples counseling, psychiatric consultations, academic support, victim advocate services, and presentations. P

More Information About Our Counseling Services

Some of the reasons students seek our services are but not limited to:

Relationships, Time Management, Self Esteem, Social Isolation, Stress, Grief, Anxiety, Sexual Orientation, Depression, Study Skills/Academics, Anger Management, Sexual Assault/Rape, Alcohol/Drugs, Family

Students sit down with a counselor to discuss the situation and evaluate options for addressing their areas of concern. The role of the counselor is to listen non-judgmentally and prompt you to examine your own thinking, rather than deciding for you or giving advice.

As required by law, counseling sessions at the Office of Counseling Services are confidential. No information is disclosed to anyone (e.g. parents, professors, administration) in any identifiable manner without prior written consent from the student. The exceptions are when a student is in danger of harming him/herself or others, when there is suspected elderly or child abuse, or when a judge mandates disclosure to a court of law. Please click here to view our confidentiality statement.

As stated above, counseling sessions are confidential. Your participation in counseling is not recorded on your transcript or school records.

The Office of Counseling Services has a consulting psychiatrist that meets with students. It is a free, voluntary service provided for students who feel they might benefit from discussing their symptoms with a psychiatrist and discuss the option of medication.

Yes, you need an appointment to see a counselor. To schedule an appointment, students can walk-in or contact the office by phone at (850) 599-3145. You may choose a specific counselor or allow the administrative assistant to choose a counselor for you.

Counselors are available to assist with crisis/emergency situations. If your concern is urgent (i.e. suicidal thoughts or attempt, experiencing hallucinations, experienced a trauma within the last seven days), you do not have to have a scheduled appointment; you can just walk-in. After completing crisis/emergency paperwork, you will be seen by the next available counselor.

If you need to speak with a counselor under these circumstances, call our after-hours counseling number at (833) 848-1765.



Want To Schedule An Appointment To Talk To Someone? Looking For Our Office?

In Case of Emergency, call FAMU Police Department at (850) 599-3256 or Dial 911
1735 Wahnish Way Suite 304 (CASS Building)

For After Hours Assistance, Call Well Connect for FREE at 833-848-1765
(850) 599-3145
(850) 599-8481