Graphic Design is a dynamic and creative profession. Professionals may specialize
in various areas, including branding, user interface (UI) design, illustration, motion
graphics, and more. The versatility of this profession makes graphic design an exciting
and constantly evolving profession where creativity meets strategic communication.
About This Program
As a Graphic Design major, you will delve into the visual language of design, exploring
the principles of layout, typography, color theory, and digital tools. The curriculum
encompasses hands-on experience with industry-standard design software, allowing you
to learn to craft compelling visual narratives for a variety of mediums, including
print, digital platforms, and multimedia.
By graduation, you'll possess a diverse portfolio showcasing your proficiency in creating
visual identities, marketing materials, and digital interfaces, preparing you to contribute
to the visual storytelling of individuals, businesses, and brands.
Graphic Design, B.S.
Students in the Graphic Design program are trained by experienced faculty to master the use of both traditional and cutting-edge design tools and techniques.
They learn to conceptualize and create compelling graphics across various mediums,
honing their skills to effectively craft and communicate visually impactful messages
to the general public.
Our award-winning graphic design program teaches students the design principles, brand
development, and creative campaigns for print, web, social media, motion graphics,
UX/UI design, design research, digital media, and animation.
With exposure to current industry professionals and state-of-the-art technology, our
students have won several local, regional, and national awards as well as secured
internships and jobs in the media and creative fields with regional, national, and
Graphic design is the art and practice of planning and projecting ideas and experiences
with visual and textual content. It is the process of creating visual communications
such as logos, brochures, magazines, websites, motion graphics, mobile apps and other
graphic materials. Graphic designers use typography, images, and color to communicate
ideas in a visually appealing and effective way.
Graphic designers play an important role in our everyday lives. Their work can be
seen in everything from the logos on our clothes, to the websites we visit, to the
packaging of the food we eat. Graphic design can be used to inform, educate, entertain,
and persuade. It can help businesses to connect with their customers and build their
brands. It can also be used to promote social causes and raise awareness of important
Graphic design is a powerful tool that can be used to communicate a wide range of
ideas and messages. It is an essential part of our visual culture and plays an important
role in our everyday lives.
Graphic design is a broad field that encompasses many different disciplines, including:
• Branding: Creating visual identities for businesses and organizations • Editorial Design: Designing magazines, newspapers, and other print publications • Web Design: Designing and creating websites and digital interfaces • Motion Graphics: Creating animated graphics and videos • Packaging Design: Designing packaging for products and goods • Advertising Design: Creating visual ads for print, TV, film and digital media • UX/UI Design: Creating a better user experience for mobile apps and websites.
Graphic Design Careers
There are many career paths for those with graphic design skills. They include:
• Advertising Designer: An advertising designer is a graphic designer who specializes in creating visual
advertisements for print, TV and digital media. They work with clients to develop
a creative brief and visuals that communicate the desired message in a way that is
visually appealing and persuasive.
• Art Director: Art directors oversee the visual identity of a company or organization. They work
with graphic designers, photographers and other creative professionals to develop
and implement a visual style that is consistent and effective across all platforms.
• Animation Designer: An animator designer is a creative professional who creates visual effects and animated
characters for a variety of media, including films, television shows, and video games
• Brand Designer: Brand designers create visual identities for businesses and organizations. This includes
developing logos, color palettes, typography and visual elements that represent the
• Creative Director: Creative directors oversee the creative vision of a project or campaign. They work
with art directors, graphic designers, copywriters and other creative professionals
to develop and implement a creative strategy that achieves the desired results.
• Editorial Designer: Editorial designers design magazines, newspapers and other print publications. They
work with editors and writers to create layouts that are both visually appealing and
• Environmental Graphic Designer: Environmental graphic designers design signage, murals and other visual elements
for public spaces. They work with architects, interior designers, and other professionals
to create visual environments that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
• Fashion Designer: A fashion designer is a creative professional who designs clothing, accessories and
footwear. They use their creativity, knowledge of trends and understanding of the
human body to create garments that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
Fashion designers typically work for design houses or fashion brands, but they can
also be self-employed.
• Game Designer: Game designers create video games. They work with artists, programmers, and other
creative professionals to develop the visual style, storyline and gameplay of video
• Graphic Designer: Graphic designers create visual content for a variety of mediums, including print,
web and social media. They work with clients to develop a creative brief and then
create visuals that communicate the desired message.
• Graphic Design in higher education: A graphic designer in higher education is a creative professional who designs visual
communication materials for colleges and universities. They work with a variety of
stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, and alumni, to create marketing
and promotional materials, brand identity and special event materials that are both
informative and visually appealing.
• Motion Graphics Designer: Motion graphics designers create animated graphics and videos. They work with clients
to develop a creative brief and then create visuals that communicate the desired message
in a visually appealing and engaging way.
• Package Designer: Package designers design packaging for products and goods. They work with clients
to develop a creative brief and create packaging that is both functional and visually
• UI/UX Designer: UI/UX designers design user interfaces and user experiences for websites and digital
products. They work with users and clients to understand their needs and then design
interfaces that are easy to use and navigate.
• Web Designer: Web designers design and create websites. They work with clients to develop a creative
brief and then create websites that are both visually appealing and functional.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor, In 2022, the average Graphic Designer made:
an average of $31.01 an hour
a mean salary of $64,500
The states with the highest employment level in Graphic Design are:
According to data from Payscale, Glassdoor, and Salary.com, the average graphic designer
salary in the U.S. in 2023 is between $37,000 and $70,000.
Graphic DesignFrequently Asked Questions (F.A.Qs)
Q: Do you have to be a good artist to be a graphic designer? A:While having a natural artistic inclination can be beneficial for a graphic designer,
it's not a strict requirement. Graphic design involves a combination of artistic creativity
and technical skills. Many successful graphic designers have a diverse set of skills
that go beyond traditional artistry.
Q: What are some of the essential skills graphic designers should develop for success? A: To achieve success, graphic designers should hone skills such as creativity and creative
problem-solving, understanding design principles, technical proficiency, presentation,
communication, time management, and collaboration.
Q: What industries have the highest levels of employment in graphic designers? A: Advertising, public relations, and related services; specialized design services;
printing and related support activities; newspaper, periodical, book and directory
publishers; management; and scientific and technical consulting services.
Q: What are the top-paying industries for graphic designers? A: Motion picture and video industries; media streaming distribution services, social
networks, media networks and content providers; monetary authorities - Central Bank;
natural gas distribution; computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing.