MSW Admissions RequirementsApplicants requesting admission into the MSW program must meet the following requirements and complete the following forms:
- An “Application for Admission to the Graduate Program at Florida A & M University.” This application is completed and sent back to the Graduate Admissions Office of Florida A & M University. Applications and information regarding this process can be obtained on-line at http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?a=graduatestudies. Do NOT submit this form to the Department of Social Work. A copy of the form will be sent to the MSW program by the Office of Graduate Studies to indicate that the student has applied at the University level and has been entered into the FAMU computer system. A $20 application fee (check or money order), payable to Florida A&M University must accompany the application to the Graduate Admissions Office. Do not send this application fee to the Department of Social Work.
- An official transcript indicating completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. The applicant’s undergraduate education must reflect a sound liberal arts foundation, including a course that includes introductory statistics, a course that includes human biology, and at least 21 credits in the humanities, the social sciences, the behavioral sciences, and the biological sciences.
- A grade point average of 3.0 or better (4.0 scale) for the last 60 credits of academic course work, as evidenced on the official transcript. NOTE: Applicants holding law degrees and those with grades in law courses must have a grade point average of 3.0 or above, exclusive of law school grades, for the last 60 hours of academic course work, and a grade point average in law courses of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or 75 (on a 0-100 scale). Students whose grade point average is below 3.0 may be admitted under “Special Student Status” for the first semester of graduate course work, permitting them to take up to 12 credits in the graduate program.
- A total Graduate Records Examination (GRE) score of at least 1000 (combined Verbal and Quantitative scores) or an equivalent score on a measurement approved by the Florida Board of Regents. While the GRE is a requirement of graduate admissions at the University level, the MSW program uses the GRE score only if the applicant’s grade point average is below 3.0. Students whose grade point average is below 3.0 and who’s GRE score is below 1000 may only be admitted under “Special Student Status” for the first semester of graduate work. Please refer to the section on “Special Student Status” admissions in this section of the Handbook for further details regarding such admissions.
- Three professional letters of recommendation from persons who can address the applicant’s ability and potential for successful graduate education and professional social work practice (e.g., former professors, employment supervisors, etc.).
- A personal narrative statement reflecting the applicant’s academic and employment history, as well as a discussion regarding her/his interest in the social work profession.
- A professional resume. The applicant will submit a current resume that includes his/her work history.
- Proficiency in English. Any student prior to admission or during their course of study, may be required to demonstrate English proficiency through submission of a satisfactory score on a test designated by the Chair of the Department of Social Work. Students whose written or spoken English proficiency is marginal in relation to the communication skills needed for effective social work practice may be required to seek instruction outside of the Department of Social Work to bring his/her communication skills up to an acceptable level.
- A current Florida State Immunization Record. The Health Services Student Clinic ensures that all students entering Florida A & M University are current on all required immunizations. A copy of that record must be included in the application package sent to the MSW program. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a “hold” being placed on the student’s registration, preventing the student from completing the registration process.
- Completion of the “Certification of Eligibility Form”. This form allows the MSW program to process and award any financial aid given to you by the University or the Department of Social Work. This form is available through the Graduate Studies program office (http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?a=graduatestudies). Failure to complete this form will result in your financial aid monies being forfeited and applied to another student.
- Personal Interview. In some cases, a personal interview with the MSW faculty may be required of an applicant in order to better evaluate her/his potential for developing into a professional social worker.