About Our Living Learning Communities (LLCs)
So, what is a living-learning community?
FAMU’s Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) provide a holistic and diverse style to student growth and education. Our residents live in housing facilities which support these ideals through academic partnerships, service-learning opportunities and in-hall education. Each community facilitates a uniquely-designed platform which connects students, faculty, and staff through the classroom, programming and personal interaction.
While our living-learning communities are diverse in majors, and programming, the core emphasis is placed on academics. The residents do not simply live in the same facility or on the same hall; however, each takes part in academic programming that encourages working together as a community. Designed for first-year students, our LLCs concentrate on learning through motivating, cultivating, and challenging our residents both in and outside of the classroom.
Find the LLC just for you!
To find an LLC that fits your college or school check out their pages below.
General LLC Requirements
- You can only apply for one LLC. All students must have an active on-campus Housing Contract in order to be considered for membership in one of the LLCs.
- The LLCs are “major-specific.” Interested students must major in a degree area that falls under the school/college/LLC. For example, if you are interested in the School of Allied Health Sciences LLC, you must major in Cardiopulmonary Science (CPS), Health Care Management (HCM), Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM), Health Science/General (HS), Health Science/Pre-Occupational Therapy (HSPOT), or Health Science/Pre-Physical Therapy (HSPPT).
- Actively participate and complete all work required for the selected Living-Learning Community (Note: Nonparticipation in the selected LLC meetings, programs and activities, will result in having a hold placed on students’ course registration for the next semester and/or removal from the designated FAMU Towers LLC residence hall floor and LLC program).
- Remain in the selected LLC for one academic year.
- This LLC program does not allow roommates that are not admitted individually to the LLC (i.e., if you are a business major and want to live in the Business LLC, your roommate has to be a Business major).
- The LLCs are housed in the new FAMU Towers Residence Hall (Note: Students who choose the LLC option are responsible for the additional housing costs associated with FAMU Towers).
Have Questions About an LLC?
Dr. Brenda C. Spencer
Director, Living-Learning Community Program
FAMU Undergraduate Student Success Center
(850) 412-5790 or Brenda.Spencer@famu.edu
LLC Application Deadline for Fall 2021: May 1, 2021 by 11:59 P.M.