Home FamMail iRattler FamCast

Acceptance of Academic Credits

Undergraduate/Professional (Pharmacy Doctorate) Students-According to FAMU’s mission, “the University seeks and supports a faculty and staff of distinction dedicated to providing outstanding academic preparation at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional school levels.” FAMU defines a transfer student as any student who has attended any regionally accredited college or university and has earned 12 or more semester hours (except as high school dual enrolled students).  The University subscribes to the Articulation Agreement between the State University System and the State Community College System. Under this agreement, graduates of Florida public community colleges are eligible to non-limited access programs at a state university if the students have completed the university's parallel program and have received the Associates of Arts degree (AA) and will receive priority admission over out-of-state students.   Additionally, the agreement allows for students who hold an AA degree from a Florida public community college or university to have satisfied the University’s general education requirement. Credits may also be awarded as credit by examination from the General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (A-level G.C.E.) if a student earned a grade of “C” or better for introductory courses.

Transfer credits are accepted from institutions that are accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agencies recognized by FAMU at the time the credits are earned provided that the course was completed with a minimum grade of “C” (or equivalent). Within Florida, all state and post secondary institutions and some private post secondary institutions are members of the statewide course numbering system. Through this system, institutions are assured that courses with the same course prefix and number have equivalent content and may transfer among the member institutions.  FAMU also recognizes the recommendations for credits published by the American Council on Education (ACE). However, recommendations by ACE are not binding on the University.  Students may receive Health and Physical Education credits by submitting DD Form 214 or its equivalent.
FAMU utilizes and recognizes official evaluations for International students prepared by Foreign Credentialing Agencies like Silny and Associates or World Educational Services. Such evaluations must be submitted directly to the University.

FAMU Students-FAMU students complete a Transient Form (Study Abroad) that is approved by the students’ academic department.  This document ensures prior approval of courses that students will be registered for at the foreign institution. The approved transient form serves as record of the students’ enrollment at the foreign institution and allows students to have access to financial aid while studying abroad.  Once the courses are completed and the official transcript is received from the foreign institution, the grades are processed using the approved grade change forms to place the grades on the students’ transcripts.  

Non-FAMU Students-Non-FAMU students enrolling in the FAMU-sponsored CCIS program are enrolled at host institution, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM).  Students submit the FAMU Course Request Form (CRF), which must be signed by their appropriate home institution’s administrators and faculty advisor.  The approved CRF serves as record of the students’ enrollment at the foreign institution and allows students to have access to financial aid while studying abroad.  Transfer credits are awarded by FAMU for equivalent courses taught by the host institution.  The education abroad coordinator forwards the official transcript from the host institution along with an OIED Grade Verification Form to the student’s home institution’s study abroad office. The courses are evaluated by FAMU for award of credit.

Exchange Students-Exchange students’ enrollment is governed by the stipulations of the established Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between FAMU and the foreign institution.

Credit by State/National Examination-Public universities in Florida are required by Florida Statute Section 1007.27 [7] to award designated credit for Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Defense Activity for Non-traditional Education Support (DANTES), Excelsior College Examinations (ECE), The Cambridge Advanced International Certificate for Education (AICE) and International Baccalaureate Program (IB) when a student meets the approved scores. FAMU also adheres to this policy.   Applicability of some transfer credits toward a degree program is determined by the individual school or college. Additional policies regarding undergraduate transfer credits are noted in the University Catalog.

Graduate/Professional (Law) Students-FAMU also accepts transfer credits for graduate students where the transfer of graduate level courses must be determined by the individual academic departments. A maximum of six graduate level credit hours with a grade of “B” or better may be accepted from a regionally accredited institution. Additionally, six credit hours of elective credits shall be granted to students who are fully admitted to graduate degree status in the College of Education for possession of National Board Teacher Certification. Additionally, a maximum of six semester hours of 4000 level courses may be included in the requirements for a graduate degree of Education. The above also applies to students enrolled in the Specialists, Law and Doctoral Programs (excluding the PharmD).

Experiential Learning-The University considers experiential learning as learning that occurs outside its own educational programs.  Other than awarding credit through mechanisms such as nationally recognized credit by exams such as CLEP (see above) and departmental exams denoted below and the award of credit for attainment of National Board Teacher Certification, FAMU does not award credit for experiential learning.

The only experiential learning for which the University grants credit is for formal learning experiences that are part of the curriculum of a degree program, such as internships, clinical courses, cooperative education and practicums. These experiences are supervised by program faculty in collaboration with supervisors at the internship/clinical site and are evaluated if credit is to be awarded.

Professional Certification/Departmental Exams/Deans Waiver-Academic departments may offer students opportunities to receive credits through departmental course examinations. Individual departments determine if and when a student can take advantage of this opportunity. Academic deans may determine if course/courses may be waived or if credit may be awarded for students based on professional certification and documented proficiency in an area of study. Such waiver and/or credit must be approved by the academic Department Chair, Dean, Registrar and Provost.  In the case of academic credit being awarded to students with National Board Teacher Certification, the department chair and dean of the College of Education must evaluate the certificate and portfolio for the National Board Teacher Certification.  The Dean and Department Chair will make a formal recommendation to the Registrar who will award elective credit in a specific academic area within the College of Education.  The recommendation from the College of Education must contain a statement that attests to the fact that the National Board Teacher Certification certificate and portfolio have been evaluated by appropriate officials within the College of Education.

Academic Progress-Graduate
Graduate students are required to maintain a grade point average of 3.00 “B” or better. Failure to maintain the required “B” average could result in termination of a graduate student’s status. Monitoring of academic progress of graduate students occurs in the academic department.