Welcome to the Department of Secondary Education, Technology Education & Foundations
The Department of Secondary Education, Technology Education and Foundations offers the following state-approved teacher education programs at the secondary level: biology, chemistry, English, mathematics, music, physics, and social sciences (history and political science). Undergraduate admission requirements:
- Students must have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 or better in basic general education course component OR a 2.50 GPA from a completed baccalaureate program.
- Students must have passed the General Knowledge portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) or all sections of the CLAST (exemptions are not applicable for admission into the teacher education programs).
- Students must meet all “Gordon Rule” requirements.
- Students must have a grade of “C” or better in the required courses taken as part of the General Education Preparation Program.
- Students must successfully complete a criminal background check, have proof of medical insurance, liability insurance and a pre-admission interview by the College of Education Admissions Committee.
- Biology Education
- Chemistry Education
- English Education
- Math Education
- Music Education
- Physics Education
- Social Science Education
Undergraduate teacher education candidates must complete all portions of the General Knowledge Test prior to being admitted to the upper division of the Professional Education Unit (PEU), pass the professional Knowledge portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination prior to student teaching and graduation, and successfully complete an “acceptable” electronic portfolio.
Dr. Vanessa Pitts Bannister, Chairperson
Florida A&M University
Tallahassee, Florida 32307
Voice: (850) 599-3123
Fax: (850) 561-2793