History of Sunshine Manor
Sunshine Manor is the second presidential home located on FAMU's campus. The house was designed and constructed by students in the mechanical arts department. The construction plans were approved by state officials and the house was constructed in 1936. Three president's lived in the home during their tenures. J.R.E Lee was the first and finally Dr. George W. Gore. In the 1950's, Ms. Pearl Gore gave the President's House the popular name and current name "Sunshine Manor."
The presidents often hosted social events and housed famous visitors to the campus like the world renowned singer, the late Marian Anderson and Roland Hayes. During the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's, the lawns surrounding Sunshine Manor were popular meeting areas for protesting by FAMU students.
Sunshine Manor is a historic site.