Home FamMail iRattler FamCast
Office of Counseling Services

Faculty/Staff Directory  Faculty/Staff Directory
Phone  850.599.3145
Fax  850.599.8481

Office of Counseling Services
101 Sunshine Manor
Tallahassee, FL 32307

Frequently Asked Questions

What is counseling?
Counseling is a relationship with a person who is professionally trained to help discuss concerns in a way that clarifies one's thoughts and feelings. This helping relationship leads to increased self-understanding and more effective behavior. 

Where is the Office of Counseling Services?
The Office of Counseling Services is located at 101 Sunshine Manor. We are located in the house across from Tucker Hall-next to Black Archives.

Who is eligible to receive services? 
FAMU registered students are eligible for services. Each registered student gets 12 free individual counseling sessions each semester. If you are interested in couples counseling, only one person in the relationship needs to be a registered student at FAMU.

How often are appointments? How long do they last?
Ordinarily, students will see a counselor for a 45 to 50 minute appointment, once per week, although scheduling is done on a case-by-case basis.

Why should I come to the Office of Counseling Services?
While the college experience is often exciting and enjoyable, it can also be quite stressful. It is important to address the stressors and concerns in your life so you can focus on being academically successful. 

What services are offered?
The Office of Counseling Services offers a wide variety of services to meet the needs of the students. Our services include individual counseling, group counseling, couples counseling, psychiatric consultations, academic support, victim advocate services, and presenations. 

What are some of the concerns students come to the counseling center to address? 
Some of the reasons students seek are services are but not limited to:

        Relationships                       Time Management
        Self Esteem                           Social Isolation
        Stress                                     Grief
        Anxiety                                     Sexual Orientation
        Depression                           Study Skills/Academics
        Anger Management             Sexual Assault/Rape
        Alcohol/Drugs                        Family

What would an appointment be like? 
Students sit down with a counselor to discuss the situation and evaluate options for addressing their areas of concern. The role of the counselor is to listen nonjudgementally and prompt you to examine your own thinking, rather than deciding for you or giving advice.

Are the services at the Office of Counseling Services confidential? 

As required by law, counseling sessions at the Office of Counseling Services are confidential. No information is disclosed to anyone (e.g. parents, professors, administration) in any indentifiable manner without prior written consent from the student. The exceptions are when a student is in danger of harming him/herself or others, when there is suspected elderly or child abuse, or when a judge mandates disclosure to a court of law. 

Does the fact that I went to counseling end up on my transcript or school records?
As stated above, counseling sessions are confidential. Your participation in counseling is not recorded on your transcript or school records. 

Does the Office of Counseling Services have a psychiatrist
The Office of Counseling Services has a consulting psychiatrist that meets with students. It is a free, voluntary service provided for students who feel they might benefit from discussing their symptoms with a psychiatrist and discuss the option of  medication. 

Do I need to have an appointment to see a counselor?
You can come to the Office of Counseling Services as a walk-in or make an appointment. The staff at the Office of Counseling Services makes it their priority to have students seen in a timely manner.