GOKHAN HACISALIHOGLU, PH.D
PROFESSOROffice: 114 Science Research Center,
Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FLORIDA 32307
Ph.D.- Cornell University, New York
Postdoctoral Research: Cornell University & USDA-ARS
• BOT2313 Plant Anatomy & Development
• BOT3303 Plant Morphology
• BSC1005 Biological Science
• BSC1010 General Biology I
• BSC1010L General Bio. Lab
• BSC4930 Bio Pro-Seminar, PCB2033 Ecology
• BIOPL244 Plant Physiology, BIOPL241 Intro Botany
• BSC7910 Grad Direct Research, BSC4905 DIS
AREAS OF EXPERTISE: Plant Physiology, Plant Molecular Genetics, Seed Composition, Abiotic Stress Tolerance, Signaling & Response, Zn Deficiency, Arabidopsis, Beans, Maize.
Zinc (Zn) is an essential micronutrient and therefore Zn deficiency is one of the most critical limitations to plant yield & quality (Hacisalihoglu & Kochian, 2003). Professor G. Hacisalihoglu (pronounced as hasi-sali-olu) is interested in one of plant sciences fundamental questions: How do some plants tolerate low soil Zn? His research made important contributions to Zn efficiency mechanisms of crop plants such as beans, bread wheat, soybeans, maize, and Arabidopsis at local, national, and global levels.
Working collaboratively, he is presently engaged in NIRS (near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy) to predict seed composition (protein, CH, oil, nutrients, color, & shape). More recently, Dr. Hacisalihoglu’s research has been on RNA-directed DNA methylation Gene Silencing as well as Auxin Signalling and Nitogen response to Arabidopsis lateral root growth.
-->Dr. G. Hacisalihoglu’s Google Scholar page, click
• Baker & Hacisalihoglu G (2014) Excursions in Teaching Plant Science through Local EthnoBotany of Food- Medicine Continuum. Innovative Strategies for Teaching in the Plant Sciences p.1-15.
• Hacisalihoglu G & Settles AM (2013) Nat. Variation of Seed Composition of 91 Bean Genotypes & Possible Association w Seed Coat Color. Journal of Plant Nutrition 36: 772-780.
• Hacisalihoglu G, Larbi B, Settles AM (2010) Near infrared reflectance spectroscopy predicts protein, starch, & seed weight in intact seeds of c. bean. J. Agr. & Food Chemistry 58:702-706.
• Hacisalihoglu G & Ross Z (2010) Influence of Priming Treatment on Germ. & Soil Emergence of Nonaged and Aged A. Ryegrass Seeds. Seed Science and Technology 38:214-217.
• Hacisalihoglu G, et al. (2008) An Innovative Plant Genomics & Gene Annotation Program for HS, CC & University Faculty. Cell Biology Education-LSE 7: 310-316.
• Hacisalihoglu G (2007) Germination Characteristics of Three Warm-Season Turfgrasses Subjected to Matriconditioning and Aging. HortTechnology 17: 480-485.
• Hacisalihoglu G, et al. (2007) Bacterial Wilt Ind. Changes in Nutr. Distr. & Biomass and Effect of AcibenzolarSM on BW in Tomato. Crop Protection 26: 978-982.
• Hacisalihoglu G, et al. (2004) The Role of Shoot-Localized Processes in the Mechanism of Zn Efficiency in Common Bean. Planta 218:704-711
• Hacisalihoglu G, et al.(2004) Genotypic Variation in C. Bean in Response to Zn Deficiency in Calcareous Soil. Plant and Soil 259:71-83.
• Hacisalihoglu G & Kochian LV (2003) How Do Some Plants Tolerate Low Levels of Soil Zinc? Mechanisms of Zinc Efficiency in Crop Plants. New Phytologist 159:341-350.
• Hacisalihoglu G, et al. (2003) Zinc Efficiency is Correlated with Enhanced Expression & Act. of Cu/Zn-SOD & Carb. Anhydrase in Wheat. Plant Physiology 131: 595-602.