Housing Rules and Regualtions

We maintain a safe and secure environment for everyone living in one of our residence halls with the help of these Housing Rules and Regulations

Alll of the following informatin presented on this page can be found and is expanded upon in your FAMU Resident Life Handbook


Sed lectus. Praesent elementum hendrerit tortor. Sed semper lorem at felis.
Sed lectus. Praesent elementum hendrerit tortor. Sed semper lorem at felis.


Most Common Housing Rules (?)

Meal Plans

Students living in traditional residence halls are required to purchase a student meal plan. Students living in apartment style facilities are not required to buy a meal plan but may do so if you wish.  For information, please visit the Meal Plan section on the FAMU website.

What should I not bring?

Regular household extension cords, halogen lamps, hot plates, toaster ovens, space heaters, candles, incense, fryers, electric skillets, electric grills or any potentially hazardous items. view full list of what and what not to bring

Guest & Visitation Policy

Any individual who is not assigned to reside in a specific residential facility room/or apartment area is defined as a guest. All guests to any residence hall, including those who are visiting the lobby, will need to have a photo identification card to sign in (i.e., FAMU ID, driver’s license, passport, military ID, etc.). Residents will be held responsible for the actions of their guests.

Health and Safety Inspections

Entry by University Housing personnel into your room/apartment is occasionally necessary. While respecting your personal privacy at all times, the University reserves the right to authorize entry into your room or apartment at times when your welfare or the welfare of others is concerned; to ensure proper care, maintenance and safety of the facilities; to make necessary repairs; to complete a preliminary condition report for a room/apartment being vacated; to conduct maintenance and safety inspections; and to investigate violations of University regulations. 


Posting of flyers, announcements, or any other printed or written material must be approved by the Resident Director prior to posting in or around any area of the residence halls. Marketing and Communications Project Request Form


Pranks which result in disturbances or distress to others or cause damage to University or personal property are prohibited. Disciplinary action will be taken against anyone disregarding this regulation.


For reasons of health and safety, propelling devices such as rockets, catapults, slingshots, or any homemade device for the purpose of launching an object are prohibited. Objects may not be thrown into or out of windows. 

Quiet Hours

Quiet hours are 10 p.m. to 10 a.m., seven days a week. During the last two weeks of the semester, quiet hours are 24 hours a day. Quiet hours are expected to be observed in parking lots adjacent to residential facilities.

Restricted Areas 

No student shall make unauthorized entry into any University Housing building, office, attic, roof, closets, designated restrooms (traditional halls), or other restricted University Housing facility or area. Violators will be fined.

Riotous Behavior

Any activity that disrupts or obstructs the normal operations of the University Housing and/or infringes upon the rights of other members of the University Housing community, including leading or inciting others to disrupt scheduled and/or normal activities. Violators will be fined and referred to counseling. 

Room Inspections

Although custodial workers are employed to keep all public areas and public community bathrooms clean, you are expected to clean your own room, bathroom, and common areas in the apartment. Room inspections are conducted every week. These weekly checks are conducted to maintain the safety and cleanliness of each room/apartment throughout the school year. Inspections will be completed weekly. Failed room inspections will result in a fine and eviction of noncompliant residents for the fourth (4th) failure. There are no re-inspections.

Room Modifications 

Permanent fixtures and construction are not permitted. All items in the room must be free standing. Modifying electrical wiring is prohibited. Under no circumstances should nails, screws, or wall anchors be used to affix items to walls or ceilings. Installation of ceiling fans is prohibited.

"The mission of University Housing is to promote a safe, clean, service, oriented, efficiently managed, nurturing living and learning environment that are conducive to students’ academic pursuits and personal growth while fostering a sense of community, civic responsibility, and an appreciation of diversity."
Office of University Housing Mission Statement


Placeholder image
Sed lectus. Praesent elementum hendrerit tortor. Sed semper lorem at felis.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

If you have a question that was not answered here feel free to reach out to OUH via phone or email.

The student must submit a housing application and a $200.00 advanced payment via our online portal for faster processing.

You must submit a written request for cancellation to the address listed above. See form here.

Please note students, who cancel the spring portion of their academic year contract, after residing in the residence halls for any part of the fall semester, are subject to a contract breakage penalty. This fee does not apply to students who are not enrolling or for the spring or who are graduating who, notify the Office of University Housing, in writing, and remove their items within 24 hours of the acceptance of their Cancellation Form.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of University Housing via the Cancellation Form writing that they are not enrolled during the spring semester. If your cancellation is approved, you will be subjected to cancellation fees as per the Terms and Conditions. If your cancellation request is not supported, you will remain obligated to the Housing Agreement and financially responsible for the entire length of the Housing Agreement. Please read the Terms and Conditions before requesting cancellation.

Each Housing facility has different room rates, please explore our Housing Options to see the rental rates for each residential hall.

Yes. However, if a balance remains after financial aid is dispersed, you are responsible for the balance.

Fees are due by the fifth day of classes each semester.

Yes, you may pay in installments provided your balance is paid in full by the fifth day of classes.

Advance payments can be made by mailing a money order or cashier's check to:

Office of University Housing
1735 Wahnish Way Suite 305
Tallahassee, FL 32307-6000

You may also pay in person with cash, check, money order or credit card at the Cashier's Office located in Foote-Hilyer Administration Center.

All spring semester residences are given the opportunity to apply for limited returning student housing for the upcoming academic year. After returning, students are assigned the application process will begin for new residents.  Housing assignments are made according to a combination of factors including availability, date of application, roommate requests, and building/room preferences.  The Office of University Housing makes every attempt to honor requests.  Please keep in mind that it is not always possible to satisfy all of these requests.  Demand is high, and we often can not accept all applications.

Room-mate information will be given out or posted by the housing assignment staff.

Roommate requests must be submitted by both or all individuals on the housing application.  The Office of University Housing makes every attempt to honor roommate requests.  Please keep in mind that demand is high and we often can not accept all requests.

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) has an on-campus residency requirement for freshmen and other specific groups of students. Students wishing an accommodation or an exempted from the Office of University Housing on –campus residency requirements must submit a Housing Accommodation/Exemption Request form with appropriate documentation for review. 

Requests for accommodations or an exemption from students with a documented qualifying medical, physical or psychological disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  Students that submit an Accommodation/Exemption Request along with appropriate documentation should allow five (5) business days for the initial review process.  Students requesting accommodations based on a disability are also encouraged to register with the Center for Disability Access and Resources (CeDAR). Please review the Housing Accommodations/Exemptions webpage for more information. 

All beds in the residence halls are extra-long twin beds (80 inches). You will need extra-long twin sheets, which are available at retail stores.

For more information on what and what not to bring visit our "Move In Day!" page and review the section on items to bring or leave at home

No, not necessarily; every window in the apartment has mini-blinds.  However, some students put up decorative curtains or sheers on light-weight curtain rods.

There is a wireless internet connection in each bedroom and facility.

For health reasons, animals such as mammals, birds, insects, reptiles, arachnids, crustaceans, and amphibians are prohibited. If pets are found, a fine will be assessed to the owner of the pet for cleaning cost.Immediate removal of the pet will be required, and possible disciplinary action may occur.

Accomations can be made for Service and Companion Animals. Students with disabilities desiring to use a service animal on campus must contact the Equal Opportunity Programs staff at 674 Gamble Street, Tallahassee, Florida 32307, telephone number is (850)-599-3076 and the Center for Disability Access and Resources (CeDAR) staff, 667 Ardelia Court Tallahassee, FL 32307, telephone number is (850) 599-3180 to register as a student with a documented disability

Although custodial workers are employed to keep all public areas and public community bathrooms clean, you are expected to clean your own room, bathroom, and common areas in the apartment.

Students living in traditional residence halls are required to purchase a student meal plan. Students living in apartment style facilities are not required to buy a meal plan but may do so if you wish.  For information, please visit the Meal Plan section on the FAMU website.

No. Because the residence halls are used for summer school, camps, conferences, and under renovations during the summer months, students are not allowed to store any belongings or property on campus during the summer.

Please see the University calendar or the OUH Homepage for move-in and move-out dates.

No, summer semester operates with limited facilities; therefore your summer assignment may have already been assigned for the fall semester.

No, summer semester operates with limited facilities; therefore the facility that you lived in for the spring semester may not be open for summer.

At no financial penalty, residents may request room changes during the first two weeks of each semester. If approved, the move must take place during the third week of the semester and complete within 48 hours of approval. The room change form is available at the front desk of your assigned building or from the main housing office. Residents must understand this is only a request and will be honored at the discretion of the housing department staff and the availability of spaces.
Any room transfer requests that are received after the initial room transfer period (during the 3rd week of the semester) will be charged a $30.00 administrative fee. Residents who do not follow these procedures may have their requests for a room transfer denied. Residents who transfer rooms without the written approval of the Office of Housing and Residence Life will be required to move back to their original place and may receive a $75.00 fine in addition to the administrative charge and/or disciplinary action will occur. End-of-the-semester room transfers must be completed BEFORE the students leave for the semester break. If this is not done, the request for a room transfer will be denied. Residents may also be reassigned as a result of a judicial sanction.

Yes, If the student fails to qualify for an exemption as indicate below.

An exemption from the On-Campus Residency Requirement may be granted for:

  • Students graduated from a high school within 35 miles of the University's Tallahassee campus and will reside with a parent or legal guardian within the 35 miles radius of campus.
    • Required Documentation to be submitted with this form:
      • A notarized letter is required from the student's parent/legal guardian stating the student will be living at home during the academic term, and the Florida address is their permanent residence.
      • A copy of a parent/legal guardian's valid Florida Driver's License is also required to show proof of residency.

  • Married students:
  • Students with a dependent child or children
  • Students 21 years of age or older before the first day of classes
  • Students who are military veterans that served on active duty for at least 12 months or students currently serving on active military duty
  • Students on a case-by-case basis by the President or President's designee provided there is reasonable cause shown by the student.

The University does not offer family housing.



Full FAMU housing Rules and regulations

View the entire Florida A&M University rules and regulations for the Office of University Housing: Regulation 2.001 10 28 14 PDF

Live, Learn, Engage
Live, Learn, Engage

Your Housing student handbook will act as a guide and assist you through this transition to university residential living....bla bla bla 

Resident Life Handbook  



Contact Us

Name Email Phone
Mo Morris m@morris.com 123-456-7899
Robert Schultz manjasauer@aol.de 123-456-789
Gragoire Lopez-Thierry Mitchell55@lews.biz 870-470-5992