TALLAHASSEE, FL. – Excitement and energy describes the Florida A&M University (FAMU) President’s Convocation today as the 10th president outlined his ten keys to sustainability and accountability.
With standing room only in the Gaither Gymnasium, this was the first state of address for President James H. Ammons.
“I guarantee to you today, when you graduate from this institution, you will be proud of your degree from Florida A&M University — a document of dignity, achievement and excellence, and a glowing letter of introduction to a successful and meaningful life,” said Ammons. “I pledge to you my students, my faculty and staff, the Board of Trustees, people of this great state of Florida, the Task Force for FAMU Finance and Operational Control Issues, Board of Governors, members of the Florida Legislature, that I know the value of a dollar. On our campus, we will account for each dollar spent, follow established policies and procedures and operate efficiently and effectively.”
The ten keys Ammons outlined focused on fiscal integrity, strengthening ethical behavior, increasing enrollment and the intellectual climate of the university. Over the next five years, Ammons said he will:
• Restore the university’s fiscal integrity and accountability._
• Maintain and expand FAMU’s accreditations
• Refine and strengthen personal and professional ethical standards governing the behavior of students, faculty and staff.
• Become a national leader in the recruitment of National Achievement Scholars.
• Solidify FAMU’s position as a leader in producing African-American baccalaureate and Ph.D. degree holders by boosting
recruitment efforts and retention and graduation rates.
• Increase faculty and staff salaries across the board to ensure they remain competitive.
• Embark on a capital campaign to increase FAMU’s endowment to levels in the upper echelon of peer institutions.
• Increase research dollars to have FAMU ranked in the top quartile among peer institutions.
• Promote global experiences and greater exposure of students and faculty to enhance the image of the university.
• Strengthen the role of the university in the local community.
“As we move forward, we walk with the confidence that our ancestors forged a bright path,” said Ammons. “Each step that we take in this chapter of our history must contribute and sustain this institution’s legacy of greatness because the future generations will hold us accountable.”
- 30 -