The Florida A&M University National Alumni Association (FAMU NAA) will honor the 2014 class of Distinguished Alumni Award recipients during its annual banquet scheduled Friday, May 2 at 6 p.m. in the FAMU Grand Ballroom.
The 2014 Distinguished alumni recipients include:
· Arts – Terry Hunter, Ph.D., c/o 1973
· Business – Deirdre P. Hall-Mahone, c/o 1984
· Business – Michael L. Reid, c/o 1984
· Community Service – Gwendolyn Powell Robinson, c/o 1976
· Education – Ron J. Fry, c/o 1986
· Entertainment - Danny B. Harris, c/o 1996
· Government – Commissioner Derrick D. Elias, c/o 1985
· Government – Gilda Y. Cobb-Hunter, c/o 1973
· Health – Nathaniel Wesley Jr., c/o 1965
· Law – Reginald J. Mitchell, c/o 1988
· Science – Willie J. Washington, Ph.D. c/o 1964
The award ceremony is a part of the FAMU Weekend of Rededication (WORD), when alumni return to “The Hill” to celebrate their class reunions. Members of the class of 1964 will celebrate their 50th anniversary during the May 1-3 event, and members of classes ending in the numbers four and nine will also be celebrated.
“This is an exciting time to welcome back alumni of all generations as they return to campus to celebrate the memories of their time at FAMU and look toward the graduates embarking on new journeys,” said WORD Coordinator and FAMU NAA 3rd Vice President Leila Walker, Ph.D.
The Distinguished Alumni Awards banquet is chaired by Doris L. Hicks, FAMU NAA sholarship chair.
Tickets for the FAMU NAA Distinguished Alumni Awards banquet are $100 and can be purchased from the FAMU Office of Alumni Affairs. For more information, call (850) 599-3861 or visit: www.famu.edu/alumni