About the Libraries

Samuel H. Coleman Memorial Library, the University's main library, is named for Samuel Harrison Coleman, who faithfully served the University as general alumni president for 14 years.

The Library was built in 1948, renovated in 1972 and again in 1990. Coleman Library, along with its branch libraries, holds nearly 1 million cataloged volumes, over 12,000 serial subscriptions, about 192,000 microforms and 76,000 non-print items. The library is a depository for United States government publications. One of the primary purposes of the library is to provide resources and information in all formats, printed, non-printed, and machine-readable. Services include assistance with locating and using library resources, library instruction, access to electronic databases and equipment, including online catalogs, the Internet, and document delivery.

The branch libraries, which are located in selected schools and colleges, offer resources and services in their respective disciplines. They include the Architecture Library, the Journalism and Graphic Communication Resources Center, the FAMU/FSU College of Engineering Reading Room, and the Frederick S. Humphries Science Research Center Library.



Last update 2/06