SharePoint User Guide
SharePoint is a Microsoft web applications that allows for secure collaboration and file management through web interface. File sharing and management is easily accomplished through Microsoft Office integration. This a great tool for intranet team collaboration and document management.
The following information is specific to FAMU SharePoint 2007 configurations and may not apply to other SharePoint Site.
- A computer or device with the ability to run the web browser Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher
- Broadband access (1mb download/upload or higher)
- You must have a FAMnetID and SharePoint Access
See SharePoint Tutorial Reference Guide
A request form for SharePoint access is located at the FAMU SBI/SACS System Access web page for your convenience. This information will be viewed by the administrator and access will be granted pending appropriate approval.
- If you are unfamiliar with SharePoint or need to be refreshed with it nuances, please refer to the Training Section above.
- It is important to stress that SharePoint requires the use of the web browser Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher!
- You can log in to SharePoint with your FAMnetID and Password. Make sure your FAMnet ID and password are correct and functional. All users must add the domain before entering their FAMnetID. (i.e. User: FAMU\john.doe Password: <FAMnetID Password> )
- Save to the SharePoint Server often, even in between large edits.
- When editing a file on SharePoint’s server do not save it to another location. This may create saving issues.
- If you wish to save the file to your computer as a backup, choose the send to download option before or after you edit the file.
- Navigate to “Share Documents” for full functionality when managing files.
- Do not forget to “Check In” work files when you have completed editing. If a file is check out other users will not be able to make additional edits.
May I use my mobile MAC devices to access Sharepoint? No. iPads and iPhone are not directly supported.
May I use my MAC devices to access Sharepoint? Yes. Only if it has Internet Explorer.
May I use other browser besides Internet Explorer? No. Using other browser will limit functionality and may cause errors.
Is there a way to stop the password prompt between file edits? No (EIT is working on this issue)
Does the alert email feature work? No
Does MS Word track changes work in SharePoint? Yes
May I be the only individual to have access to my committee files? Yes
May I have my whole team have access to my committee files? Yes
Is on campus SharePoint training available? No (Contact Ayinde Johnson for additional information)
How do I take advantage of “Use my local drafts folder” while checking out a file? You must add SharePoint to your list of trusted sites.
How to add your SharePoint site to your list of trusted sites:
- Go to your SharePoint site using your IE Web browser.
- Click the Home tab in the upper-left corner.
- In your Web browser, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the Security tab, and then click Trusted sites.
- Click Sites.
- The Web site should be shown in the Add this website to the zone field. If it isn't, type the address of your home page.
- Click Add.
- If the site is not a secure site (that is, the Web address or URL doesn't start with HTTPS), clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
- Click Close.
For addition questions or comments please contact the IT Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.