Our Mission Statement
The FAMU First Year Experience Program aims to enhance the mission of the University by providing comprehensive services to aid in the transition of newly admitted undergraduates. We seek to innovate and incorporate all new students and their families into the intellectual, cultural, and social fabric of Florida A&M University. Our office envisions a successful first year experience that will stimulate intellectual growth, social responsibility, personal wellness, and career development.Goals
The goal of The FAMU First Year Experience Program is to help new students make a successful transition to Florida A&M University both academically and personally by focusing on three main goals.
1. Foster Academic Success.
2. Helping Students Discover and Connect to Florida A&M University.
3. Helping Students Understand the Principles of Financial Literacy.
1. Adapt and apply appropriate academic strategies to their courses and learning experiences.
2. Demonstrate how to effectively evaluate information sources and utilize university and academic community libraries and information systems for academic inquiry.
3. Use written and oral communication to discover, develop, and articulate ideas and viewpoints.
4. Identify and apply strategies to effectively manage time and priorities.
5. Identify relevant academic policies, processes, and procedures related to advising, course planning, career planning, and major exploration.
6. Identify appropriate campus resources and opportunities that contribute to their educational experience, goals, and campus engagement.
7. Develop and apply skills that contribute to building positive relationships with peers, staff, and faculty.
8. Describe what it means to be a FAMUAN in context of the history, traditions, and culture of the university.
9. Explain the difference between a Pell Grant and a student loan.
10. Identify the basic skills necessary to effectively manage money.