First-Year Experience Themed Learning Communities
Discover strategies to get ahead by enrolling in a First-Year Experience Themed Learning Community. Exclusive to first-year students, these opportunities can help set you on a path to success at FAMU. Students work to improve critical academic skills such as time management, note-taking, study strategies, test preparation, and effective reading techniques.
FYE Themed Learning Communities are non-residential. Students do not have to live in a specific Residential Learning Facility to be eligible to participate.
Students who participate in Freshmen Themed Learning Communities should expect to:
- Develop a strong sense of belonging at the university and within smaller academic groups.
- Experience a smoother transition from high school to college.
- Achieve high academic performance.
- Develop friendships and study groups.
- Support the retention and persistence to graduation of first-year students.
- Establish cohort experience and an environment of peer-to-peer support
- Create opportunities for students to cultivate relationships with FAMU alumni, government officials, industry leaders, and local business owners
- Provide connections with key stakeholder areas on campus, including Career Center, Financial Aid, Study Aboard, Student Activities, and Freshmen Studies.
- Facilitate students' access and integration to FAMU culture and organizations.
- Admitted into Florida A&M University for the 2020 Fall Semester
- Not a part of the school/college living and learning communities
- Open to all majors, but preference is given to Undecided students
- Completed Application by June 26, 2020