Admission Requirements for BSN Program
- Admission to the university is within the purview of the office of admissions.
- The length of time in the pre-professional level will vary with the educational background of the student. The student must complete pre-professional requirements before admission to the professional level.
- Admission to Florida A&M University does not automatically admit one to the School of Nursing. The school, due to clinical limitations, is a limited access program.
- See the catalog’s Special Admissions’ section for additional information.
- Students seeking admission to the professional level must apply and be accepted to FAMU and satisfy all general education, Gordon Rule and foreign language requirements
All applicants must meet the following requirements:
- have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.1 on a 4.0 scale;
- have completed all pre-professional (prerequisite) Nursing courses with a grade of “B” or better. The student must meet the minimum letter grade requirement on the first attempt. Repeated attempts for math, science, and nutrition courses will not be considered. Exception: The student will be allowed one repeated attempt for any other prerequisite course. The student must meet the minimum letter grade requirement on the first attempt;
- submit completed School of Nursing application and all other specified information by May 1st - 15th for Fall Semester admission or October 1st – 15th for Spring Semester admission (see the School of Nursing application checklist on the School of Nursing’s website for details). Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- provide one passport photograph;
- submit 3 letters of recommendation, two from instructors from previous college courses and one from an employer or a personal reference; and
- present appropriate documentation of medical history, physical examination, tuberculosis test and/or chest X-ray, and influenza vaccine. A state or military certificate of immunization status documenting immunity for measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), Hepatitis B (HBV), Varicella (Var), and diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis (DTaP) or tetanus and diphtheria toxoids (Td) is required. If certification of immunization is not available, a titer is required.