So, what is a living-learning community?
FAMU’s Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) provide a holistic and
diverse style to student growth and education. Our residents live in
housing facilities which support these ideals through academic
partnerships, service-learning opportunities and in-hall education.
Each community facilitates a uniquely-designed platform which
connects students, faculty, and staff through the classroom,
programming and personal interaction.
While our living-learning communities are diverse in majors and
programming, the core emphasis is placed on
academics. The residents do not simply live in the same facility or
on the same hall; however each takes part in academic
programming that encourages working together as a community.
Designed for first-year students, our LLCs concentrate
on learning through motivating, cultivating, and challenging our
residents in and outside of the classroom.
Please click on links below to view our LLCs:
***(The LLC deadline date is November 19, 2018)***
LLC Program Requirements:
- You must be a first time in college (freshman) student for the 2018-19 academic year.
- The LLCs are “major-specific.” Interested students must major in a degree area that falls under the school/college/LLC. For example, if you are interested in the School of Allied Health Sciences LLC, you must major in Cardiopulmonary Science (CPS), Health Care Management (HCM), Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM), Health Science/Pre-Occupational Therapy (HSPOT), or Health Science/Pre-Physical Therapy (HSPPT).
- Actively participate and complete all work required for the selected Living-Learning Community (Note: Nonparticipation in the selected LLC meetings, programs and activities, will result in removal from the designated FAMU Village LLC residence hall floor and LLC program
- Remain in the selected LLC for one academic year.
- This LLC does not allow roommates that are not admitted individually to the LLC (i.e., if you are a business major and want to live in the Business LLC, your roommate has to be a Business major).
- The LLCs are housed in FAMU Village. Students who choose the LLC option are responsible for the additional housing costs associated with FAMU Village.
How to Apply to a LLC:
Step 1: You must submit a Housing Application/Housing Agreement form which can be found at the following link: http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?housing&HousingApplicationProcess
Step 2: Download and complete the paper application
Step 3: On the Housing Agreement/Housing Application form, select one LLC option
Step 4: Mail your application and advanced payment (Cashier’s Check or Money Order) to the address that is listed on the form
Step 5: Complete any other required documents (e.g., Essay, Personal Statement) as indicated in the LLC description/criteria via an online link or mail to the address that is listed for the LLC.
LLC Student Selection Process:
- Housing Agreements are reviewed by the Housing staff, and the students' name will be forwarded to the appropriate Dean for review and acceptance of the students in the respective LLCs. At that time, students will either accept or decline the space, and if accepting, indicate roommate preference, (if any). Students will receive room selection instructions on how to choose a room from the available spaces in the LLC.
- LLCs have limited availability and are reserved on a first come, first served basis. Interested students are screened and selected by the Dean or her/his designee for assignment in the LLC.
Want More Information?
Please feel free to contact us:
Dr. Brenda C. Spencer
Director, Academic Integration and Student Transitional
Services/Living-Learning Community Program
FAMU Undergraduate Student Success Center
at (850) 412-5790 or Brenda.Spencer@famu.edu
with questions about LLCs.
Contact University Housing
at 850-599-3651 or firstname.lastname@example.org
with questions about the housing application.