Haitian Earthquake Relief Web links Description: In response to the recent earthquake that has devastated Haiti, a number of agencies and organizations have produced information about the effect of the earthquake in Haiti and on the Haitian people. In addition, several organizations are working to provide relief to Haiti. Listed below are links agencies facilitating relief efforts in Haiti as well as information about the country.
GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION WEBSITES
U.S. Department of State
- Website: http://www.state.gov/p/wha/ci/ha/index.htm
- Description: The State Department website provides a statement and video from Secretary Clinton about the information it has received regarding the earthquake in Haiti. The State department has set up a call center to provide information to Americans with family in Haiti; 1-888-407-4744. In addition, the State Department is collaborating with the Center for International Disaster Information (CIDI), to provide assistance to the people in Haiti. Those wishing to donate are asked to do so through CIDI online at http://www.cidi.org/incident/haiti-10a/
- Website: http://www.whitehouse.gov
- Description: The White House website provides brief information on its collaborating efforts with the Red Cross to provide relief for the people in Haiti. The Red Cross website provides a link that allows individuals and/or groups to make a monetary donation that will be used in its relief in Haiti.
- Website: http://www.haiti.org
- Description: The Haitian Embassy website provides extensive background information on Haiti, its people, state institutions and permanent missions around the world.
CNN on Aid Relief in Haiti
- Website: http://www.cnn.com
- Description: the CNN website contains several ‘breaking news’ videos that highlight the current state of Haiti after the recent earthquake. In addition, the website has up-to-date information on the status of relief operations in Haiti.
- Website: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/
- Description: CNN has developed a page that lists the current organizations that are offering relief aid to Haiti, in response to the recent earthquake.
Wikipedia on Haiti
Wikipedia on 2010 Haiti Earthquake
- Website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiti
- Description: Wikipedia provides comprehensive historical background on Haiti, including its pre-colonial and colonial periods; political structure, geography, environmental concerns, economy, education demographics, religion and culture.
RELIEF ORGANIZATIONS OFFERING AID TO HAITI
- Website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Haiti_earthquake
- Description: Wikipedia provides information on the magnitude and effect of the recent earthquake on Haiti, including background information on prior earthquakes that have affected the country, details on the scope and magnitude of the recent earthquake, casualties suffered, the reactions of international non-governmental organizations and the response from other Countries.
American Red Cross
Catholic Relief Services
Direct Relief International
Doctors Without Borders
- Website: http://www.directrelief.org/EmergencyResponse/2010/EarthquakeHaiti.aspx
- Description: The website provides up-to-date information on the organizations efforts in Haiti as it responds to the devastation caused by the earthquake by providing shipping containers with essential medicines, supplies and nutritionals to local hospitals in Haiti. Currently, this organization has partnered with three local hospitals to provide essential medical materials for emergencies, such as the earthquake in Haiti. There is a link on the website to donate money.
International Medical Corps (IMC)
- Website: http://doctorswithoutborders.org/
- Description: The website for ‘Doctors Without Borders’, highlights the health care clinics it is establishing to treat those injured by the earthquake in Haiti. It has set up tents outside of the Martissant health care center to treat patients. A list of its treatment efforts is detailed on the website. In addition, a link is provided on the website for people to donate monetary funds to help support its efforts.
International Relief Teams
- Website: http://www.imcworldwide.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=878
- Description: IMC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. The website allows for persons to donate money towards its emergency response mission, where it brings emergency health care, nutrition, water and sanitation to areas with an urgent need, such as Haiti.
Operation Blessing International
- Website: http://www.irteams.org/index.htm
- Description: IRT is a non-profit, international relief organization of volunteers that provide medical and non-medical assistance to the victims of disasters worldwide. IRT is seeking cash donations. The use of said donations will go towards its relief activities in Haiti.
The Salvation Army
- Website: http://www.mercycorps.org/
- Description: The Mercy Corps website provides photos and blogs illuminating the devastation in Haiti and the current state of the people who live there. A link is provided for individuals to make a monetary donation towards its efforts in Haiti to provide water, and food supplies.
Save the Children
- Website: http://www.savethechildren.org/newsroom/2010/earthquake-haiti.html
- Description: The Save the Children website provideS information regarding the state of its offices in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as well as information regarding the impact of the earthquake on the residents of areas surrounding Port-au-Prince. A link is available for persons to make a monetary donation toward its efforts to provide food, water, shelter and child-friendly spaces.
World Food Program (WFP)
- Website: http://www.worldconcern.org/haiti-earthquake/
- Description: World Concern is a local Haitian non-profit organization. Its headquarters is in Port Au Prince, Haiti. It has committed itself to providing blankets, plastic sheeting and water supplies to people in the surrounding area. Its website gives up-to-date information about the aftermath of the earthquake. A link is provided for people to make a monetary donation.
- Website: http://www.wfp.org/stories/haiti-wfp-bring-food-devastating-quake
- Description: The WFP website highlights the efforts it is extending to the people of Haiti. WFP is providing food assistance to the people affected by the earthquake. A link is posted that allows individuals to provide a monetary donation to help fund its efforts. WFP is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
- Website: http://donate.worldvision.org
- Description: The World Vision website provides a link for individuals to donate money towards its work in Haiti. World vision distributes relief supplies, such as food, clean water, blankets and tents to children and families. It has committed to providing such supplies to those devastated by the earthquake in Haiti as a part of its mission to provide disaster relief. World Vision is an International aid Christian humanitarian organization that works primarily in poverty stricken countries to combat the root causes of poverty and provide disaster relief.
- Website: http://www.unicefusa.org
- Description: UNICEF has created a page specifically to provide information on its efforts in Haiti. A link is embedded on the page, where individuals can make a monetary donation. The page highlights the lack of clean water and sanitary conditions in Haiti.