FAMU FEEDER SCHOLARS PROGRAM
THESES AND DISSERTATIONS
Graduate Student Grievance Procedure
It is the goal of Graduate Studies and Research to provide students with an expeditious, fair, equitable, and consistent procedure for resolving their academic grievances. This policy includes procedures and rules to guide the student through the process. The intent is to resolve issues informally before filing a complaint or seeking redress beyond the unit in which the alleged offense occurred.
· The student shall submit his/her grievance in writing within 30 days or 10 days into the next semester by using the form located at http://www.famu.edu/graduatestudies/Grievance%20Form_Revised.pdf This form should be stamped by the graduate coordinator or academic dean of the college to indicate the date and time the grievance was initiated.
· The grievance process can start/stop at any level. However, the graduate coordinator should act as the facilitator.
· If the professor and graduate coordinator cannot find a satisfactory solution, the matter will be forwarded to the graduate committee/graduate faculty within the college.
· The graduate committee/graduate faculty will forward a report indicating their decision to the dean of the college.
· If the dean is not able to resolve the matter, the issue is forwarded to the graduate council committee on graduate student grievance.
· The graduate council committee should submit a report to the Graduate Studies and Research dean.
· The Graduate Studies and Research dean will review all of the documents provided on the issue and make a decision.
· The Graduate Studies and Research dean will refer the matter to the provost if a satisfactory solution is not reached and if .
· The provost shall make the final decision.
· A written recommendation is required at each step.
· The student, professor, the graduate coordinator, the dean of the college and Graduate Studies and Research dean should be provided copies of the written recommendation at each step.
It is imperative that graduate student academic grievances be handled in an expeditious manner from the date of initialization.
GRADUATE STUDENT APPEALS