FAMU encourages foreign students with superior scholastic records, adequate English proficiency, and an earned bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university to apply for admission to a designated program in Graduate Studies and Research. Such students must have a grade point average of 3.0 or above at the undergraduate level or the equivalent, as determined by the Admissions Office and must submit GRE scores. Other admissions requirements are listed in the descriptions of each of the degree programs offered by the University at http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?graduatestudies&DegreePrograms
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Admission to graduate study is granted to qualified applicants, who are seeking degrees, and to qualified post-baccalaureate students, who may wish to upgrade specialty certifications or enhance their knowledge.
Minimum University Admission Requirements
Admission to graduate study is a two-part process. The Graduate Office of Admissions determines the international applicant’s eligibility for admission to the University and the academic program determines the applicant’s admissibility to the degree program. Final admission to the University is subject to approval by the Graduate Office of Admissions.
Minimum University Application Requirements
1. A Graduate Application (electronically signed and submitted by the applicant);
2. A Residency Classification form (submit with online application);
3. A $30.00 non-refundable application fee is required of all applicants for each application submitted;
4. Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education and have earned a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or better in the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate work taken while enrolled as an upper-division undergraduate student working towards a bachelor’s degree; OR Hold a graduate degree in a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better;
5. One official transcript (in a sealed envelope) from each college or university attended. For FAMU students applying to FAMU graduate programs need not submit transcripts for your FAMU course work. These transcripts will be requested internally.
6. Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores or General Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores; (These scores must be sent directly to FAMU by the appropriate testing agency.) Your application will not be processed without GRE scores.
7. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL= 550/paper-based; 80 internet-based) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores (6.5) sent directly to FAMU from the Testing Service if an applicant is from a country in which English is not the official language, or if an applicant's degree is not from an accredited U.S. institution, or if an applicant did not earn a degree in a country in which English is the only official language, or if the applicant is from a university where English is the only official language of instruction;
8. Three letters of Recommendation; Complete this section of the online application;
9. Résumé, essay, portfolio or other materials, if required by the program; (These must be submitted as part of the online application.)
10. A completed Certification of Financial Eligibility form found at http://www.famu.edu/graduatestudies/certification%20of%20financial%20responsibility.pdf indicating your commitment (e.g. from your parents, government, or others) to financially support your education;
11. A completed Immunization form; to expedite the processing of your application materials, please download and print the Immunization Form at http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?shs&Immunizations and mail the completed form to the address specified on the form. This form is not used in making an admissions decision. However, you will not be allowed to enroll at FAMU without submitting the Immunization Form.
12. Mandatory Health Insurance required for all International Students; For more information, please refer to http://www.famu.edu/graduatestudies/Health%20Insurance%20Instructions%20for%20International%20Students_041214(1).pdf You will not be allowed to register for classes without it.
All official application materials, with the exception of your official test scores and transcripts, should be submitted online. All supporting documents (such as official transcripts, test scores) should be mailed to:
School of Graduate Studies and Research
515 Orr Drive
Suite 469 Tucker Hall
Florida A&M University
Tallahassee, FL 32307
NOTE: All requested documents must be received by the stated application deadline.
A translation and evaluation of work completed at each institution are required. Transcripts should be sent to one of the agencies listed below for a course-by-course evaluation. Please request the agency to send the evaluation directly to FAMU. Please note that if you have earned 60 or more semester or 90 quarter hours at a postsecondary U.S. institution, you will not need to have your transcript evaluated.
For more details on graduate admission at FAMU kindly log on to www.famu.edu/graduatestudies
Sample Timeline prior to your application deadline:
12 to 15 months
-Send your official transcripts to WES or Josef Silny & Assoc. for a course-by-course evaluation and have the evaluations sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions;
- Begin obtaining supporting financial documentation that will accompany the Certificate of Financial Responsibility form; and
- Begin preparing for the GRE/GMAT and TOEFL, if appropriate.
9 to 12 months
- Take the GRE/GMAT and TOEFL, http://www.ets.org/toefl if English is not your native language;
6 to 9 months
- Submit official test scores;
- Check with the Graduate Office to ensure that your transcript evaluations have been received;
- Submit the Certification of Financial Responsibility Form and supporting financial documents;
- Submit a copy of the biographical page of your passport.
1-2 months before
-Purchase your medical insurance
Academic credentials (credentials must be certified true copies from college or University). Original transcripts from all institutions must be submitted from the foreign institutions directly to the School of Graduate Studies and Research. To determine academic eligibility for admissions, academic credentials must be: (a) translated into English and (b) evaluated course by course by an evaluation service. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the evaluation agency directly and provide FAMU with an original evaluation of all academic credentials. Acceptable evaluators can be found at the web pages of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (http://www.naces.org/).