Richard D. Schulterbrandt Gragg, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Environmental Science and Policy
Chair, FAMU Environment and Sustainability Council
Founding Director (1998-2011), Center for Environmental Equity and Justice
Fredric S. Humphries Science and Research Center,
Suite 306 D, School of the Environment
Florida A&M University
1515 South Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32307
Tel: 850-599-8549; Fax: 850-561-2248
- Ph. D., Pharmaceutical Sciences/Toxicology, Florida A&M University, 1994
- M.S., Pharmacology, Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FL, 1986
- B.S., Biochemistry, SUNY Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY 1980
My research is divided into the following integrated areas: environmental justice, environmental health disparities, environmental toxicology and human health and environmental ethics. I am also interested in the intersection of food and water systems and sustainable community solutions.
Environmental Health Disparities
1. ‘How Cumulative Risks Warrant A Shift In Our Approach To Racial Health Disparities: The Case of Lead, Stress, and Hypertension’ (2011) Hicken M., Gragg, R., and Hu, H., Health Affairs 30(10), 1895-1901.
2. ‘Social and Environmental Risk Factors for Hypertension in African Americans’ (2008) Selina Rahman, Howard Hu, Eileen McNeely, Saleh M. M. Rahman, Nancy Krieger, Pamela Waterman, Junenette Peters, Cynthia Harris, Cynthia H. Harris, Deborah Prothrow-Stith, Brian K. Gibbs, Perry C. Brown, Genita Johnson, Angela Burgess, and Richard D. Gragg, Florida Public Health Review 5, 64-72.
3. ‘Household Pesticide Residues in Urban and Rural Low-Income African-American Communities' (2008) G. Adamkiewicz, C. Hemphill, D. Lam, A. Burgess, B. Vinas, D. Camann, R. Gragg, J.D. Spengler, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality and Climate, Strøm-Tejsen, Peter; Olesen, Bjarne W.; Wargocki, Pawel; Zukowska, Daria; Toftum, Jørn, Editors. Proceedings available on CDRom, Copenhagen, Denmark.
4. ‘Induction of Cell Death, DNA Strand Breaks, and Cell Cycle Arrest in DU145 Human Prostate Carcinoma Cell Line by Benzo[a]pyrene and Benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-diol-9,10-epoxide’ (2007) Onyinye Nwagbara, Selina F. Darling-Reed, Alicia Tucker, Cynthia Harris, Michael Abazinge1, Ronald D. Thomas, and Richard D. Gragg, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 4 (1), 10-14.
5. ‘Environmental Health and Anti-Social Behavior: Implications for Public Policy’ (2001) Preston, B. L., Warren, R. C., Gragg, R. D. and Walker, B., Journal of Environmental Health 63: 9-2. Environmental Justice
- 'Promoting Environmental Justice Through Urban Green Space Access: A Synopsis' (2011) Jennings, V., Johnson Gaither, C. and Gragg, R., Environmental Justice 5 (1), 1-7.
- 'Citizen Mapping and Environmental Justice: Internet Applications for Research and Advocacy' (2011) Jordan, L., Stallins, A., Stokes IV, S., Johnson, E., and Gragg, R., Environmental Justice 4 (3): 155-162 (doi:10.1089/env.2010.0048).
- ‘Measuring Environmental Equity and Justice: A Proposed Health Assessment Paradigm’ (2002) Gragg, R., Gasana, J. and Christaldi, R. International Journal of Public Administration 25: 281-304.
- ‘Righting the Wrong: A Model Plan for Environmental Justice in Brownfields Redevelopment’ (2001) Molly Singer, Richard Gragg, Renu Khator, Miles Ballog, Angela Wright, Lisa Milligan, Lori Hernandex, Carol Forthman, The Greenwood Neighborhood Community Action Team, International City/County Management Association Superfund/Brownfield Research Institute.
- 'Public Outreach Program Management Plan for the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration' (August 2001) Richard D. Gragg in conjunction with the Army Corps of Engineers and the South Florida Water Management District.
- 'Environmental and Economic Equity Program Management Plan for the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan' (August 2001) Richard D. Gragg in conjunction with the Army Corps of Engineers and the South Florida Water Management District.
- 'City of Clearwater Brownfields Area Environmental Justice Action Agenda Report' (2000) Khator, R., Forthman, R., Ballog, M., White, A., Smith, M., and L. Hernandez.
- 'The Location and Community Demographics of Targeted Environmental Hazardous Sites in Florida' (1996) Gragg, R. , Christaldi, R., Leong, S. and Copper, M., Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law 12: 1-44
- 'Proximity and Demographic Analyses of Targeted Environmental Hazardous Sites in Florida' (1996) Gragg, R., Florida Environmental Equity and Justice Commission, Tallahassee, Florida.
- 'Environmental Hazards Proximity Protocol' (1995)' Gragg, R., Florida Environmental Equity and Justice Commission, Tallahassee, Florida.
- ‘Imunomodulation in eastern oysters, Crassostrea virginica, exposed to a PAH-contaminated, microphytobenthic diatom’ (2010) Croxton, April N., Wikfors, Gary H., and Schulterbrandt Gragg, Richard D., Aquatic Toxicology 118– 119.
- ‘An Evaluation of a Reagentless Method for the Determination of Total Mercury in Aquatic Life’ (2006) Haynes, S., Gragg, R.D., Johnson, E., Robinson, L., and Orazio, C.E., ‘Water, Air, & Soil Pollution 172 (1-4) 359-374.
- “The Sustainability Imperative at Florida A&M University. R. D. Schulterbrandt Gragg (2013). The ACUPCC Implementer, Issue 56 (http://secondnature.org/blog/2013-05-07/sustainability-imperative-florida-am-university). Second Nature, Boston, MA.
- ‘Evaluation of Initial Environmental Engineering Sustainability Course at a Minority Serving Instituion’ (2011) Clark II, C.J. and Gragg III, R.S., Sustainability, 4(6): 297-302.
, Donnellan, L., Jennings, V., Mitchell, R., and Clayton Clark (August 2013). Science and Technology Leaders for a Sustainable Future. In P. Barlett and G. Chase (Eds.), Re-imagining higher education: stories and strategies for sustainability (49-56). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press
1. ‘ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE READER-II: A Survey and Review of Critical Issues in Disenfranchised and Vulnerable Communities in the Twenty-first Century’ (2012) Johnson, G., Rainey-Brown, S.A., and Gragg, R.D., (Eds.) New York, NY, Linus Publications, Inc.