We are extremely delighted that you have chosen to consider entry into the Environmental Sciences Institute. Should you be admitted into our "family" you will be joining a group of dedicated faculty and outstanding peers. Your opportunities at FAMU ESI are endless and we challenge each and every student to make the most of their collegiate experience by taking advantage of the great academic and social services available through the Institute.
To complete the requirements for admission, a student must submit the following:
• An application of admission (on-line application)
• An official high school and/or college transcript (documents should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions)
• An official copy of your SAT or ACT scores
• A copy of your immunization record
• A non-refundable application fee of $20.00, made payable
to Florida A&M University
• Students seeking a bachelor's or B.S. degree should have:
Students seeking a bachelor's or B.S. degree should have:
• Graduated from an accredited high school or an approved GED program.
• Earned at least 19 academic units of credit in the following areas:
English 4 credits
Mathematics 3 credits
Natural Sciences 3 credits
Social Sciences 3 credits
Foreign Language 2 credits
Electives 4 credits
• Achieved a score of 1010 or higher on the SAT or a 21 or higher on the ACT
• Achieved a 2.5 high school cumulative grade point average
Graduate School Applicants
Please visit the Florida A&M University School of Graduate Studies website to obtain information on the graduate school admissions requirements. In addition to the graduate school admissions requirements, the Environmental Sciences Institute requires the following:
• A certified copy of your Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
• A short statement of your goals for graduate school. This statement should be no more than one page,single spaced. Please include a specific area of concentration you intend to pursue and relevant information on your background focusing on previous experiences and achievements.
• A copy of a master's thesis or other publications; if a hard copy is not available a website address to access the document will suffice. If you have not completed thesis work or have work published, this requirement does not apply.
• Three letters of recommendation from former/current professors and professionals who can attest to your work experience(s).
• If applicable, a description of financial assistance you will receive or have applied for outside of the university.
If you are applying for the Fall semester, your completed application package should be received by May 1 - for Spring, November 15 - for Summer, April 15.
International Student Applicants
International students must satisfy established admissions criteria before acceptance into the university. Additional requirements may also be imposed. If you are applying from a country where English is not the standard language, the university requires proof of language proficiency.
Evidence of language proficiency can be provided by any American institute of higher education or by a TOEFL score of 550 or better. Foreign students should forward an official copy of the undergraduate transcript and a comparative rating of each course to the Office of Admissions.
International students can have their academic credentials evaluated for recognition by visiting http://www.wes.org/.
Transfer Student Applicants
In order for a student who has registered at another college or university to be considered for admission into the Environmental Science Institute, the following requirements must be met:
• Be in good academic standing with a 2.0 GPA (or better) with a current or former school/college
• Adhere to all standard university admissions requirements
Credits that are to be transferred will be determined by the university registrar's office and an ESI Academic Coordinator. A student who has earned an A.A/A.S. degree normally enters at the junior level.
Additional information may be obtained by contacting the Institute at 850-599-3550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.