(1) Professor and Chairperson,
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
Florida A&M University is seeking an energetic, innovative, collaborative, and visionary leader to serve as Chairperson for the Department of Computer and Information Sciences, which is housed in the College of Science and Technology (CST)
. The Department of Computer and Information Sciences offers B.S degrees in Computer Science, Information Technology and Computer and Information Systems. In addition, the department has Masters programs in Computer Science and Software Engineering.
The Chairperson of the Department of Computer and Information Sciences will play a critical role in the College’s and University’s mission of advancing knowledge, resolving complex issues, and empowering our citizens and communities. Reporting to the Dean of the College of Science and Technology, the Chairperson will lead the Department, supervise its resources, and promote and support excellence in teaching, research and service. The Chairperson will serve as an advocate for faculty and students by articulating a set of priorities that will increase research endeavors and innovative interdisciplinary work leading to increased extramural funding and faculty publications. The Chairperson will guide the department though accreditation and the development of new programs and initiatives to address the needs of our local and national societies. The new Chairperson will lead an effort for the effective recruiting of talented faculty and students; he or she will vigorously catalyze and further develop the Department’s collaborations and relationships across the University and with Government and industry.
The ideal candidate must possess and demonstrate evidence of:
• An earned doctorate from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer and Information Systems or closely related disciplines.
• A minimum of 5 years of distinguished teaching, research, and scholarly work (or confrontable professional achievements) appropriate to qualify the candidate for appointment as a tenured faculty member at the rank of full professor.
• A record of excellence in management, decision making, problem solving, consensus building, and collaborating with others in building synergistic partnerships
• A record of commitment to maintaining standards of excellence, academic freedom, and supporting faculty scholarship and student learning and research
• A collaborative leader with a proven track record of bringing diverse groups together to exceed goals and objectives
• Service as a faculty member in a computer science or information technology program in a comprehensive or research university, or equivalent industry experience
• Experience with student recruitment and retention
• Ability to develop a climate conducive to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty
• Experience in strategic planning and the ability to work collaboratively with faculty and academic leaders to identify the academic priorities of the department and develop strategies and tactics for achieving them
• Commitment to and demonstrated accomplishment in issues associated with diversity and inclusion
• Successful experience in external grant writing, fund-raising, and record of active publications.
• Understanding and appreciation of collective bargaining procedures and shared governance
• A proven record of effective administrative experience in higher education that includes planning, faculty development, budgeting, assessment, accreditation and resource development, and online courses
• ABET accreditation experience
ABOUT FAMU: Founded on October 3, 1887, Florida A&M University (FAMU) is a public, historically black university that is part of the State University System of Florida. It was ranked No. 6 in bestcolleges.com’s 2015 listing of the nation’s best historically black colleges and universities. FAMU’s main campus has 156 buildings spread over 422 acres atop the highest of Tallahassee’s seven hills.The university also has several satellite campuses, including a site in Orlando, where its College of Law is located, and sites for its pharmacy program in Miami, Jacksonville and Tampa. The university offers 62 bachelor’s degrees, 39 master’s degrees and 11 doctoral programs. FAMU also has 14 schools and colleges, and a number of centers and institutes. The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and was recently classified by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education in the second of three research categories: R2 Doctoral Universities- Higher Research Activity.
HOW TO APPLY: Initial screening of applications will begin immediately. For best consideration, application materials should be received prior to August 4, 2017. Application materials should include: 1) a cover letter addressing how the candidate’s experience matches the position requirements; 2) curriculum vitae; and 3) the names, titles, and contact information of at least five professional references.
(2) Assistant Professor, Department of Computer and Information Sciences
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology or a closely related field. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to excellence in teaching and research and a willingness to help foster the undergraduate and graduate experience at Florida Agricultural and Mechancial University.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have:
- Ability to read and interpret documents and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondences;
- Ability to speak effectively before groups or employees of organizations;
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with variety of situations where only limited standardization exists and creativity is required; and
- Ability to interpret a varity of instructions furnished in written oral diagram or schedule form.
HOW TO APPLY: Deadline for application submission is August 4, 2017. 1) Cover letter that explains suitability for position, (2) a FAMU employment application (3) a current curriculum vitae, (4) the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references, and (5) unofficial copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
The Department of Computer and Information Sciences (CIS) was established in September 1967 and since then has fostered excellence in students, teaching, and research. The department offers three Bachelor of Science degrees, two Master of Science degrees, three minors and two certificates.
· Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
· Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
· Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
· Computer Science
· Information Systems
· Information Technology
· Master of Science in Computer Science
· Master of Science in Software Engineering Science
· Cyber Defense
· Information Assurance
Students are also encouraged to participate within the department in various activities.
· Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
· Association for Computing Machinery-Women (ACMW)
· Florida Information Technology Career (FITC) Alliance
· Computer and Information Sciences Mentoring Organization (CISMO)
· Secured Rattlers
· STARS Alliance
· Student Ambassadors
· Video Game Club