Center for Disability Access and Resources (CeDAR)
667 Ardelia Court
Tallahassee, FL 32307
CENTER FOR DISABILITY ACCESS & RESOURCES
SPECIAL ADMISSIONS CONSIDERATION
The Center for Disability Access and Resources will provide assistance to individuals with disabilities who seek admission to Florida A & M University who do not meet standard admission criteria, by seeking admission under alternate criteria when appropriate based on the applicant’s disability. In implementing this procedure, the CeDAR shall not compromise academic or admission standards in any way.
1. An applicant with a disability, which prevents him/her from meeting standard admissions criteria, may seek admission under
alternate criteria, by requesting it in writing when applying.
2. An applicant may amend his or her request for alternative admission consideration at any time by sending a letter requesting admission based on disability to the Office of Admissions.
3. The Office of Admissions will forward the applicant’s admissions packet to the CeDAR. The CeDAR will send a letter requesting current and appropriate documentation to any applicant that requests consideration based on disability on his/her application.
4. The applicant must provide the CeDAR with current and appropriate documentation certifying the existence of a disability and the functional limitations imposed by the disability in order to be eligible for alternative admission consideration.
5. The CeDAR will review all of the information and confirm that the applicant’s disability necessitates using alternate criteria.
6. Based on the information provided the CeDAR will make a recommendation to the Office of Admissions.
7. Students seeking special admission consideration may be required to attend the CeDAR College Study Skills Institute, held during the summer semester before a recommendation to admit is completed.
8. There are no fees charged for the services provided. However, the applicant must bear the cost of providing the documentation. Also the applicant must bear the cost of the application fee.
9. The documentation of disability, above mentioned, is required to certify the necessity of alternative admission consideration. Documentation must be issued by an appropriate professional or agency such as a physician, optometrist, audiologist, psychologist, or other health care professional.
10. Documentation must be current and complete. The university reserves the right to request additional documentation of disability in the event the documentation presented is insufficient to establish the existence of a disability or if the documentation fails to support the need for alternative admission consideration.
11. Individualized Education Plans (IEP’s) are not acceptable as the sole means of documentation. Please review the “Documentation” policy for specific information.
12. Please Note: All required documents for admission to the University must be submitted in addition to the disability verification documentation. For example, transcripts, letters of recommendation, essays, etc.
13. The CeDAR is not an admission granting body. Only the FAMU Office of Admissions can admit applicants to the University. The CeDAR serves to provide “Recommendations for Special Admissions” only. All questions regarding admissions should be made to the Office of Admissions.
13. Policy Violations: Any applicant who makes false or fraudulent statements within his/her admission application or the admission
process may result in disciplinary action, denial of admission, and invalidation of credits or degrees earned.