Home FamMail iRattler FamCast
 
 
News Headlines
 

>>>
   
Faculty/Staff Directory  Faculty/Staff Directory
Phone  850-599-3413
Fax  850-561-2626

News Headlines
1601 South Martin Luther King Blvd.
Suite 100
Tallahassee, Florida 32307
 
 
College of Law Unveils Portrait of Founding Dean Percy Luney

Dean Leroy Pernell (far left) with Beverly Marshall Luney and Percy Luney, Jr., founding dean, at the unveiling of the Percy R. Luney, Jr. portrait.  The portrait is located in the Atrium of the law school.

Orlando, Fla.
– The Florida A&M University (FAMU) College of Law updated its historic gallery with a portrait of Percy R. Luney, Jr. founding dean of the re-established College of Law.

Luney served as professor and dean of the FAMU College of Law from 2000 to 2005, when the college was housed in its temporary facility at One North Orange Avenue.  He was instrumental in securing provisional accreditation from the American Bar Association, allowing students of the inaugural 2005 class to sit for the Florida Bar.

“Percy Luney was a trailblazer for legal education, the FAMU College of Law and the Orlando community,” said LeRoy Pernell, current dean of FAMU College of Law.  “We are honored to have his portrait greet students and visitors of the law school.”

The Luney portrait was presented to the former dean and his wife, Beverly Marshall Luney, during a dinner earlier this year.  Nine graduates of the classes of 2005 and 2006 donated funds to commission the portrait and dedicate it to him during the surprise tribute event.  The portrait, along with a plaque listing the names of the alumni contributors, was unveiled during a reception in the College of Law Atrium this summer.  A replica was also given to Luney.

College of Law alumni who contributed funds to procure the Percy R. Luney, Jr. portrait were Tia Gibbs (‘05); Charles M. Holloman, II ('05); E. Juan Lynum ('05); Jarian Narada Lyons ('06); Trinetta Fisher Lyons ('05); Darnelle P. Toth ('05); Terrie L. Tressler ('05); Ka'Juel Washington ('05); and Carlos L. Woody ('05).

The FAMU College of Law was founded in 1949 on the main campus in Tallahassee.  After graduating 57 lawyers, the law school was closed by the state of Florida in 1968. The Florida Legislature voted to reopen the law school in 2000 and Orlando was selected as the location. The re-established FAMU College of Law opened its doors in 2002 and is now housed in a state-of-the-art facility in downtown Orlando’s Parramore neighborhood.  The FAMU College of Law received full accreditation from the American Bar Association in July 2009, and is ranked number one in the nation for Diversity by U.S. News & World Report.


 - 30 -

FAMU Headlines View Archives