Excellence with Caring
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University Tallahassee, Florida 32307-3200
"Welcome to Student Life"
Welcome to Florida A&M University on behalf of the Student Life component in the Division of Student Affairs. The areas and departments in Student Life are eager and ready to provide customer friendly and quality service to the students, parents and other stakeholders of this great institution. Our service to you will always exemplify the University’s motto, "Excellence with Caring".
We believe that our services are supportive of the academic mission of FAMU. Through synergy and collaboration with on and off campus professionals or sponsors, the Student Life areas and departments are contributing to the retention of our students in our own unique way. Consequently, by providing various Student Life services, activities and events, we are assisting in the “life” development of well-rounded students who are prepared to fully matriculate at the FAMU and to eventually compete and excel in a global community upon graduation.
We extend a cordial invitation to you to take advantage of all that Student Life has to offer. The activities, events, and services range from:
- Welcoming new students to the FAMU during Fall Move-In & Welcome Week to bidding a fond farewell to our graduates during commencement exercises as they prepare for successful careers or decide to enter graduate or professional schools to earn additional degrees.
- Attending performances by world renowned and acclaimed artists, lecturers and musicians to participating in a breathtaking and exciting week of homecoming festivities.
- Membership in Greek Life organizations to membership in one or more of the available one hundred and seventy (170) clubs and organizations.
- Volunteer service in New Orleans, La. with the post Katrina Hurricane rebuilding efforts to building Habitat for Humanity homes in Tallahassee, Fl.
- Assisting with fundraising activities and events for the on-going FAMU Haiti Relief Fund and other similar efforts.
- Providing food for the needy during the Thanksgiving and Winter Holidays to meeting and greeting state, national and international dignitaries.
- Attending educational and leadership workshops at the local, state and national levels.
- Experiencing the benefits of residence life to intellectual cultivation in our living learning centers.
- Assuming student leadership positions in the Student Government Association to possibly serving as a student trustee on the FAMU Board of Trustees.
- Serving as peer student panel members at code of conduct hearings to serving on numerous academic and non-academic university-wide committees.
The above are just a fraction of the activities, events and opportunities that await new and returning FAMU students. Be sure to visit all of the Student Life Departments, i.e., Housing, Child Care Center, Office of Student Activities, Judicial Affairs, Campus Recreation and the Student Government Association. If you do, I am positive that you will discover why I believe in the Student Life motto, "Lighting the Path to Success".
Please stop by the Office of Student Life to share your experiences and/or concerns as well as hear about the “Student Life Story”.
Henry L. Kirby, J. D.
Associate Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students
"Lighting the Path to Success"