Profiles in Student Life
Henry L. Kirby, J.D.
Associate Vice President for Student Affairs (Student Life) and Dean of Students
Dean Henry Kirby, a proud native of Havana, Fl., has over 30 years of higher education administrative experience at Florida A&M University. He received his B.S. Degree, Magna Cum Laude, from Florida A&M University (1975), with major in Political Science. Subsequently, he received his Juris Doctor (J.D.) Degree from the Florida State University College of Law in 1978.
He was sworn in as member of the Florida Bar in 1979 and remains an active member of the Florida Bar.
In 1978 he interned in the State of Florida Attorney General’s Office and in the Public Defender’s Office for the Second Judicial Circuit of Florida. In 1978 he served as a Research Associate in the Office of the General Counsel at FAMU. From 1979 to 1989, he served as the Associate General Counsel for Florida A&M University (FAMU). He was appointed as Dean of Students at FAMU in 1989, and in 1991 Dean Kirby was promoted to Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. During this period of service, Dean Kirby simultaneously served as Acting Director of the Student Health Services and Director of Parking Services, respectively. In 1995, Dean Kirby was promoted to the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students at FAMU and he continues to serve in that capacity. During this period of service, Dean Kirby was called upon again to simultaneously serve as Acting Director of Housing for one (1) year and acting Director of Student Activities for one (1) year, respectively.
Although Dean Kirby is a member of numerous organizations and associations and has received numerous awards and commendations, the following is a brief list.
- The Florida Bar
- The American Bar Association
- The Bar of the United States Northern District Court of Appeals
- The Bar of the United States Fifth (5th) and Eleventh (11th) Circuits Court of Appeals
- National Association of Student Conduct Administration (formerly NASJA)
- National Association of Student Affairs Professionals (NASAP)
- North American Association of Commencement Officers (NAACO)
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- Association of College and University Housing Officers--International (ACUHO-I)
- Association of College Unions International
- American Student Government Association (ASGA)
- Inducted as a distinguished graduate in the FAMU College of Arts & Sciences Gallery of Distinction
Mrs. Cornelia Henry
Ms. Henry joined the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs June, 1999 with more than 20 years of experience in office administration to include legal, medical, administrative and general office management. Prior to joining the Division of Student Affairs, she worked in several areas at the University, i.e., the Office of the General Counsel (1993-1999), College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (1990-1993); and the School of Business and Industry’s National Entrepreneurial Development Center (1986-1990).