Florida A&M University Logo
Home FamMail iRattler FamCast
Registrars Office

Faculty/Staff Directory  Faculty/Staff Directory
Phone  850.599.3115
Fax  850.561.2428

Registrars Office
1700 Lee Hall Drive
105 Foote-Hilyer Administration Center
Tallahassee, FL. 32307

Regulation of
Florida A&M University

(F.S. 1001.74(4) Florida A&M University Rule 4.101

The University supports its grading system which is based upon the integrity of a grade earned in a course. The University Registrar is the official custodian of student grades and is responsible for recording approved grade change requests.

(A) Assignment of Grades

     1. Grades are assigned at the end of the term in which the student was registered for the course.

     2. Due to extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student, a grade of "I" may only be assigned if the student is passing the course, but has not completed all of the required work by the end of the term. Grades of "I" may not be assigned in any course that a student withdraws from, has excessive absences in, or fails to attend.

     3. A grade of "PN" will be assigned when a student is passing a course, but is not proficient. The use of the "PN" grade is only approved for courses in the Physical Therapy Graduate Program.

     4. A student receiving an "I" or "PN" grade should not re-enroll in the course until after the "I" or "PN" grade has been permanently changed to a letter grade.

(B) Change of Grade

Changes of grades may only be accomplished under special circumstances and are governed by the following guidelines:

      1. Grade changes pertaining to a grade of "I" or "PN" must be submitted by the end of the next term in which the student is enrolled. An "I" grade that is not changed by the specified time will revert to an "F." A "PN" grade that is not changed by the specified time will revert to the grade earned by the student at the time the "PN" was assigned.

     2. All grade changes resulting from a grade appeal must be submitted within one semester of the issuance of the grade.

     3. Any other grade changes must be made within one semester of when the grade was initially assigned.

(C) Procedure Governing the Process of Changing Recorded Grades

Grade changes can only be made for the following reasons:

     1. When it is determined that a grade was recorded in error;

     2. When removing "I" or "PN" grades; or

     3. As a result of a student’s successful appeal of a grade.

Academic units wishing to request grade changes must submit a "Grade Change and Academic Record Update Form" to the Registrar’s Office for processing. The form must contain the signature of the respective academic Dean in order to be processed.

Specific Authority: Article IX, Section 7(c), Florida Constitution, BOG Regulation 1.001. History: New— 12-07-06; Amended 05 -09 -12.