Freshman Summer Reading Program
Florida A&M University is pleased to announce the 2012 Freshman Summer Reading Program!
All incoming freshman students are required to read an assigned book and complete a writing assignment during the summer preceding the fall 2012 term. Students will subsequently participate in small book discussion groups during their First Year Experience (FYE) class and a campus-wide forum during the 2012-13 academic year. They will be given assignments in various courses throughout the academic year based on the assigned reading. Participation in this activity will help to facilitate the students’ transition from high school to college by giving them an early introduction to the academic expectations of the University. This activity will also serve to enhance the students’ critical thinking and communication skills.
- Students will receive the book and a list of discussion questions when they attend one of the 2012 freshman summer orientation sessions.
- Students are to complete the book and submit the mandatory writing assignment via email to the QEP Student Virtual Center, by self-enrolling in QEP 1000 course on the main Blackboard website (http://famu.blackboard.com/webapps/login/).
- Instructions for completing and submitting the writing assignment will be made available via this website after July 13, 2012.
- To promote the development of critical thinking skills through written and oral communication
- To provide freshmen with a common academic learning experience
- To expose freshmen to the academic expectations of the University
- To promote the integration of academic and social experiences
- To develop a sense of community by increasing interactions between students, staff, and faculty