Discussion Questions / Writing Assignment
Directions: Consider the following set of questions during your reading of Salvage the Bones. Select only three (3) of the four (4) questions and write a comprehensive response for each. After completing your written responses, proofread carefully and complete the instructions below for electronic submission. Please print a copy of your responses to the questions and be prepared to bring it during the first class meeting in your First Year Experience (FYE) course.
- Evaluate the depiction of violence in Salvage the Bones. Consider how the scenes of violence – including Daddy’s loss of fingers, China’s brutal killing of her puppy, and the dogfight between China and Kilo – add to the novel. How do violence and tenderness co-exist in this troubled setting?
- Compare the portrayal of Katrina in Salvage the Bones to what you saw of the hurricane in the news. Which aspect of the storm’s devastation does this novel bring to life? What does Esch’s perspective add to your understanding of Katrina’s impact?
- The figure of the black teen mother continues to loom large in our public consciousness. Chart Esch’s attitude toward her pregnancy through the twelve days of the novel, and how she first realizes she might be pregnant. How do Skeetah and Daddy respond when they discover Esch’s pregnancy?
- Explain how Daddy seems to know that a storm is coming before anyone else? How do his children and neighbors react to his early preparations? Why do Daddy’s precautions fail in the face of Katrina’s destruction?
Writing Assignment Evaluation Criteria:
Your writing assignment will be evaluated and scored using the following criteria:
- Clarity and focus: Are the ideas presented logically and coherently? Does the detail clearly address the discussion question?
- Organization: Does the paragraph contain a topic sentence, supporting sentences, and closing sentence?
- Style and mechanics: Is the paragraph written using good grammar, spelling, and punctuation?
Guidelines for Submission
Please adhere to the following guidelines for submitting your writing assignment:
- Submit the writing assignment in MS Word or pdf format ONLY.
- Include a cover page with the following information:
- Title: “FAMU 2012 Freshman Summer Reading Writing Assignment.”
- Your name, submission date, FAMU ID#, phone number, and email address.
- The writing assignment should be typed and double-spaced.
- Use 12-point Times or Arial font.
- The response to the questions should be 200-300 words in length.
Submit your written response (MS Word or pdf format only) and cover page by accessing black board at: http://famu.blackboard.com and self-enrolling in the QEP Student Virtual Center, QEP 1000 course, by 11:59 p.m. on August 20, 2012.