Florida A&M University’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), #WriteOnFAMU, seeks to create a culture in which students become actively engaged in their learning through writing proficiency. #WriteOnFAMU will build a campus climate in which faculty are encouraged and supported to teach with high-impact educational practices and create opportunities for students to: enhance their writing proficiency, reflect on their own writing, and provide meaningful feedback to their peers.
Desired Goals and Outcomes
The #WriteOnFAMU QEP is focused on enhancing proficiency in writing.
Learning Environment Outcome
Develop a culture of writing by enhancing resources and learning environments to improve writing proficiency.
- Identify writing enhancement courses across curriculums to ensure students are receiving instruction on how to improve their writing throughout their matriculation.
- Provide additional resources to the writing resource center.
- Develop a recognition/reward system for faculty, staff, and students.
Faculty will incorporate high impact pedagogies and provide co-curricular experiences that improve written communication skill.
Student Learning Outcome
- Faculty and staff value high-quality writing.
- Faculty incorporate high-impact pedagogies that improve written communication skills, such as: problem-based learning, collaborative learning, capstone projects, project-based learning, etc.
- Faculty and staff provide co-curricular experiences, such as: service learning, research, co-curricular activities, attending related campus events, attending off-campus events, etc.
Students will be able to effectively express thoughts and synthesize ideas using standard English and appropriate vocabulary in quality written documents related to their disciplines.
- Explain the importance of writing in relation to learning and career success.
- Exhibit confidence in ability to effectively organize and express ideas in writing.
- Utilize Standard English and appropriate vocabulary in writing.
- Effectively proof read and edit written work, both self and peers.
- Develop career-appropriate and discipline-specific documents with well-founded perspectives related to the students' emphases.
- Utilize appropriate and relevant content to synthesize ideas within the context of the discipline in writing.