Crime Prevention Services and Education
In an effort to help ensure the safety of the university environment, the Department of Campus Safety & Security is actively involved in providing crime prevention services and education to the community at FAMU.
These activities include, but are not limited to delivering:
- Campus Safety Awareness presentations during New Students Orientation sessions
- Campus Safety Awareness presentations during Transfer Students Orientation sessions
- Anti-Hazing Presentations
- Safety Presentations to Student Housing Groups
- Safety Presentations to Student Organizations and Groups
- Safety Presentations to Faculty & Staff Groups
- Directed/Focus Presentations upon request (e.g., NIMS, building security, active shooter response, DRS, etc.)
Personal Safety & Crime Prevention Tips
- Walk or jog in groups of three or more.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- Travel with confidence and purpose.
- Do not wear earphones while walking or jogging.
- Know the locations of emergency phones.
- Do not use ATMs at night.
- Stay alert, and plan ahead for “What if…?”
Residential / Workplace Safety
- Know your neighbors or coworkers; you are the best one to determine who does not belong.
- Do not prop open exterior doors.
- If you come in through an electronic key card access door, do not allow strangers to enter with you on your code. They should have their own cards and codes.
- Always lock your door when you leave.
- Lock your door while you sleep or when you work late.
- Get involved. If you see someone you consider suspicious or out of place, CALL POLICE IMMEDIATELY.
Protecting Your Property
- Keep your car locked. Store items of value in the trunk
- Coats, backpacks, and purses should remain with you or be locked up
Safety/Crime Prevention Resource Links