Pharmacy Faculty Experts
Stroke, Parkinson's disease, Pharmacology, Toxicology
Dr. Karam F. A. Soliman
Distinguished Professor and Assistant Dean for Research and Graduate Studies
College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Division of Basic Sciences
Florida A&M University
104 Dyson Pharmacy Building
1520 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tallahassee, Florida 32307
Karam F.A. Soliman is a distinguished professor of basic pharmaceutical sciences in the College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and the assistant dean for Research and Graduate Studies for the College. In addition, to teaching, advising and training graduate students, Soliman serves as the program director for an NIH-supported multi-million-dollar grant to support Research Center in Minority Institution. He was voted as the College of Pharmacy Outstanding Teacher of the Year in 1979; and in 1994, he received the State of Florida Teaching Incentive Award. In 1996, Soliman received the, The State Professorial Excellence Award. He has trained 24 Ph.D. and 22 M.S. students in Pharmacology/ Toxicology. He is considered the top producer (rank first), in the Nation, of African-American PhDs in Pharmaceutical Sciences. Among 100 Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the country, Dr. Soliman ranked number one as the most published faculty member. In February of 1996, Dr. Soliman was named 3M Distinguished Professor in recognition of his dedication to Pharmacy students as a teacher and mentor, contributing to the profession and commitment to FAMU. In 2000, Soliman received the highest award given by the University; he was named FAMUAN of the Century.
- Mazzio, E and KFA Soliman. D-( )-Glucose rescue against 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium toxicity through anaerobic glycolysis in neuroblastoma cells. Brain Research, 962: 48-60 (2003).
- Mazzio, E, A. Becker and KFA Soliman. Inflammation and inducible nitric oxide synthase have no effect on monoamine oxidase activity in glioma cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 15:65:1719-1927 (2003).
- Mazzio EA and KFA Soliman. Cytoprotection of pyruvic acid and reduced beta-nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide against hydrogen peroxide toxicity in neuroblastoma cells. Neurochem Res., 28(5):733-741 (2003).
- Sircar R and KFA Soliman. Effects of postnatal PCP treatment on locomotor behavior and striatal D (2) receptor. Pharmacol Biochem Behav., 74(4):943-452(2003).
- Mazzio, E and KFA Soliman. The role of glycolysis and gluconeogenesis in the cytoprotection of neuroblastoma cells against 1-methyl 4-phenylpyridinium ion toxicity. Neurotoxicology, 24(1):137-147 (2003).
- Mazzio, E and KFA Soliman Pyruvic acid cytoprotection against 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium, 6-hydroxydopamine and hydrogen peroxide toxicities in vitro. Neurosci Lett. 6; 337(2):77-80 (2003).
- Mazzio, E; KJ. Yoon and KFA. Soliman. Acetyl- -carnitine cytoprotection against 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium toxicity in neuroblastoma cells. Biochemical Pharmacology, 66: 297-306 (2003).
- Mazzio, E and KFA Soliman. Glioma cell capacity in removing generated reactive oxygen species. Journal of Applied Toxicology, 24: 99-106 (2004).
Dr. Donald Palm
Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs
Office of the Provost
Florida A&M University
1700 Lee Hall Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32307
Area of expertise: Stroke; cell biology; Parkinson's disease; pharmacology
Palm is a professor of basic pharmaceutical sciences in the College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and the University's assistant vice president for Academic Affairs. In addition, to teaching, advising and training graduate students, Dr. Palm serves as FAMU's chair for Institutes and Centers. He recently served as the program director for the Minority Biomedical Research Support Program. He is a recipient of Florida A&M University's Risen Star Award (2003) and the University's Exceptional Contribution in Grantsmanship Award (2002). He was voted as Florida A&M University's Advanced Teacher of the Year in 2001 and the University's Teacher of the Year in 1999. He has trained 5 Ph.D. and 1 M.S. students in pharmacology/toxicology.
- Emanuel FS. Adefovir Dipivoxil: A New Agent for Active Hepatitis B Virus Infection , Pharmacy and Therapeutics Drug Forecast. 2003:1-4.
- Emanuel FS. Hypertension: A Focus on the 7th Report of the Joint National Committee on the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC 7), American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2004;68(3).
- Emanuel FS. Pharmacotherapeutic Interventions of Pharmacy Students, Pharmacy Practice. 2007;5(2):95-98.
- Emanuel FS. At Home Device for Glucose and Cholesterol Screening, U.S. Pharmacist. 2007:1-3.
- Emanuel FS. Goal Attainment in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, Part 1, Federal Practitioner. 2008:13-18.
- Emanuel FS. Goal Attainment in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, Part 2, Federal Practitioner. 2008:14-25.