Welcome to the Department of Elementary EducationThe major purpose of the elementary education program is to provide carefully planned experiences that will result in the development of competent teachers for the schools of Florida and the nation. The program leads to Florida certification in elementary education, grades K-6. The curriculum is organized to provide approximately two years of general education. The last two years consist of professional and specialized preparation. Provisions are made for some options.
Click here for the Elementary Education Curriculum
Undergraduate Admission Requirements, an applicant must:
Graduate Admission Requirements:
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher for the general education component of undergraduate studies; or have completed the requirements for a baccalaureate degree with a minimum grade point average of 2.50 or higher;
- Have a FAMU cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or higher;
- Have passed the General Knowledge (GK) Tests of Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE)
- Met all Gordon Rule requirements
- Have a grade of “C” or better in the required courses taken as part of the General Education Preparation Program;
- Have successfully completed a pre-admission interview by the College of Education Admissions Committee; and
- Have successfully passed a criminal background investigation.
Required Coursework :
- A combined score of 1,000 on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Examination, or
- A 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) cumulative grade point average (GPA) covering the last ninety (90) quarter hours or sixty (60) semester hours of the undergraduate preparation, or
- Possession of a graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Eligible for or possess a Florida educator’s teaching certificate.
- 9 hrs. of English to include writing, literature and speech
- 9 hrs. of Mathematics to include college algebra or above and geometry
- 9 hrs. of Science to include earth science, life science and physical science with minimum of one associated laboratory
- 12 hrs. of Social Sciences to include American History and General Psychology
- 6 hrs. of Humanities to include Philosophy and Fine Arts
- 10 hrs. of Pre-Teacher Education courses (EDG 3004, EDF 1005, EDG 2701 & EME 2040)
- 30 hrs. of Professional Education courses
- 30 hrs. of Content Area courses with at least a 2.5 GPA
Dr. Patty-Ball Thomas
Department of Elementary Education