IT ACCOMPLISHMENTS – FY 2013-2014 (July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014)
Information Technology(EIT) is comprised of several units as specified below.
The Application Management and Development unit is responsible for the management and maintenance of the iRattler/PeopleSoft System. This team works with the various administrative offices on campus to ensure that the iRattler/PeopleSoft Application meets the needs of the campus community. FAMU currently has the iRattler Financials, Human Capital Management (HCM) and Campus Solutions modules in production.
The EIT Services Unit is responsible for providing PC, Server and Telecommunications support as well as Web and Helpdesk Services to the campus community.
The Network Infrastructure unit is responsible for the design and maintenance of the Campus Network. This team works to ensure that the campus network is available to students, faculty and staff 24 hours/7days a week.
The Information Security unit is responsible for creating and maintaining strict security protocols and a robust information security plan for Florida A&M University that is consistent with University, State and Federal guidelines.
The Florida A&M University Center for Public Computing and Workforce Development (CPCWD) is a grant funded project through the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP). The Center provides free computer training and access to the computing services to the university community to include Gadsden, Jefferson, Leon, Bay, Escambia, and Jackson counties.
The accomplishments below are listed by Unit:
Network Infrastructure Team Accomplishments
- Implemented FAMUSecure, a new wireless system for the main and satellite campuses which requires entry of FAMNet credentials once only, until the password expires or is changed, on mobile devices so avoiding the need to re-enter them each time access to the wireless network is required.
- Upgraded and refreshed equipment in the Network Operation Center (NOC)
- Upgraded the University Network Monitoring System
- Upgraded Campus Television network to receive the HD/Digital Signal
- Added the Fire Alarm System to the Campus Network so it can be proactively monitored via IP(Internet Protocol) Technology
- Added the University’s Outdoor Light Monitoring System to Campus Network so that lighting outages can be proactively fixed by Facilities department.
- Upgraded the wireless network infrastructure in the following buildings: Journalism, Foote Hilyer Administration Center, Lee Hall, Career Center, Coleman Library, Campus Recreation Center, New Pharmacy, Police Department, New Beginning (FAMU Day Care), The Set
EIT Services Team Accomplishments
- Upgraded On-Premise Email System to Exchange 2010 which resulted in increase in mailbox storage capacity from 350MB for faculty/staff to 1GB
- Migrated student population to Microsoft 365 Cloud for email and Microsoft products which increased the mailbox storage capacity from 250MB to 50GB for students and provided a familiar look and feel like Microsoft Hotmail e-mail accounts
- Implemented Phase I and II of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone solution
- Provided 200 new personal computers for faculty and student labs replacing the old computers
Information Security Team Accomplishments
- Initiated campus-wide Desktop Antivirus (Phase 1 – Evaluation & Recommendation) deployment
- Performed Annual Disaster Recovery Test
- Implemented Website Monitoring Project which proactively monitors university websites, e-mail, Microsoft SharePoint applications and alerts key personnel in case of any outages
- Implemented Barracuda Spam Filtering System which reduces the spam e-mails for the university community by 95%
- Implemented recommendations from the following audit reviews:
- Auditor General follow-up Audit SEP 2013 – FEB 2014
- 2013 Internal Audit
- Accretive Solutions (AUG 2013 – SEP 2013, NOV 2013)
- Ernst & Young Audit (AUG 2013 – FEB 2014)
iRattler Human Capital Management (HCM) Team Accomplishments
- Upgraded the iRattler/PeopleSoft Human Capital Management System from version 8.9 to 9.1
- Implemented in conjunction with the Office of Human Resources Talent Acquisition and Candidate Gateway (Recruiting Module) which allowed applicants to electronically search and apply for job openings
- Implemented electronic viewing and receiving of W2 Forms for all employees thereby allowing quicker access to W2
iRattler Financial Management Solution (FMS) Team Accomplishments
- Substantially completed the iRattler/PeopleSoft Financial Management System v9.2 upgrade which allowed end users to view all the relevant hyperlinks for their functions to be in one area.
iRattler Campus Solutions Accomplishments
- Upgraded iRattler/PeopleSoft Mobile Application so that students can pay their fees using the mobile application, allowed students to provide guest access to their parents who can view the student’s records
- Developed the Rattler Tracker System for prospective students which enables Office of Recruitment to gather information about potential students
- Approved 62 Student Technology Fee Projects totaling approximately 3 million dollars
iRattler Technical Team Accomplishments
- Upgraded the People tools for Campus solutions from 8.51 to 8.53
- Developed an interface to generate the Instructional Research and Data File (IRD), a required BOG Report which expedites the preparation of report.
- Developed Human Capital Management(HCM) PIN Validation Project which provides additional layer of security to HCM self-service menu items such as, View Paycheck, Change Direct Deposit and View/update W-2 information.
- Developed Request for Proposal (RFP) for the implementation of Effort Reporting Project and reviewed proposals.
- Modified Campus Solutions Application to present an Anti-Hazing Policy agreement page to students ensuring all enrolled students sign the anti-hazing pledge before registering for classes.
- Processed more than 400 requests from faculty, staff and administrators for 2013-14 in the form of reports and queries.