About the Department of Music
Given national advisories concerning the Coronavirus (COVID-19), Florida A&M University has transitioned to remote instruction for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. You may contact faculty via email. You may contact the department via email or telephone and someone will respond within 24 hours.
In order to help students better navigate this changing landscape, we are providing links to essential CSSAH contact information and updated university policies:
ESSENTIAL CONTACTS: This at-a-glance directory helps students easily access their CSSAH departments regarding their needs and concerns. We also encourage students to communicate directly with their professors to make sure they remain aware of potential new formats and measures for submitting assignments.
SPRING 2020 COMMENCEMENT: Because FAMU is committed to protecting the health of the university community, our families, and friends, the university will host a close-captioned virtual ceremony for Spring 2020 graduates on Saturday, May 9 at 10 a.m. Graduates will receive an email from the vendor on how to submit their headshot and information. During the ceremony, each graduate’s name will be called, and the photo/information submitted will be displayed. For more information, visit the Commencement web page.If you have questions, email commencement@FAMU.edu.
- FAMU SPRING 2020 MODIFIED GRADING POLICY: Florida A&M University has modified the Grading Policy to allow students the option of receiving either a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) or letter grade (A/B/C/D/F) in courses that are approved to offer the S/U grade. All students (except those at the College of Law) will have the option to request the S/U option for eligible courses. Visit the Office of the Registrar's website for additional information.
- HOW TO SELECT THE S/U GRADE: All students (except Graduate Distance Learning and Dual Enrollment) have the option to request the S/U option for eligible courses. You can place this request at your Student Center in iRattler (except student athletes) from Wednesday, April 15 through Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Visit the Office of the Registrar's website for additional information.
Please continue to practice health and safe social spacing precautions to protect yourself duirng this global pandemic. Visit www.famu.edu for FAMU's COVID-19 updates. Stay Safe!
The mission of the Florida A&M University Department of Music is to provide the highest quality music at the undergraduate level for music majors embarking on careers as teachers, scholars, performers or composers. It is also the mission of the department to teach non-majors and members of the community about music as a part of human culture and experience.
To carry out its select mission, the Florida A&M University Department of Music commits itself to the following goals:
- Realize in practice its commitment to the developmental function of higher education and the ideal of accessible public education
- Provide undergraduate programs and curricula of the highest quality for students aspiring to careers in music.
- Provide students who do not wish to pursue professional degrees in music with opportunities to explore musical interests and develop musical skills and knowledge.
- Maintain a positive learning and working environment that attracts and retains a high quality and diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
- Create a rich and collaborative community of independent and self directed artist/scholars by supporting faculty and student creative, scholarly, and service initiatives.
- Provide professional service to school music programs and arts and arts education agencies and organizations.
- Serve the cultural needs of the University, community, and state through concerts, lectures, festivals, and other public events.
- Maintain the highest level of professional, artistic, curricular, and pedagogical integrity in all areas of operation.
Florida A&M University
Department of Music
206 Foster-Tanner Music Bldg.
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4400