About the Department of Music
The mission of the Florida A&M University Department of Music is to provide the highest quality music at the undergraduate level for music majors embarking on careers as teachers, scholars, performers or composers. It is also the mission of the department to teach non-majors and members of the community about music as a part of human culture and experience.
To carry out its select mission, the Florida A&M University Department of Music commits itself to the following goals:
- Realize in practice its commitment to the developmental function of higher education and the ideal of accessible public education
- Provide undergraduate programs and curricula of the highest quality for students aspiring to careers in music.
- Provide students who do not wish to pursue professional degrees in music with opportunities to explore musical interests and develop musical skills and knowledge.
- Maintain a positive learning and working environment that attracts and retains a high quality and diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
- Create a rich and collaborative community of independent and self directed artist/scholars by supporting faculty and student creative, scholarly, and service initiatives.
- Provide professional service to school music programs and arts and arts education agencies and organizations.
- Serve the cultural needs of the University, community, and state through concerts, lectures, festivals, and other public events.
- Maintain the highest level of professional, artistic, curricular, and pedagogical integrity in all areas of operation.
Florida A&M University
Department of Music
206 Foster-Tanner Music Bldg.
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4400