Helpful Tips for Developing a Proposal
From the Office of Sponsored Programs - Florida A&M University
- Provide advance notification to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) regarding your intent to submit a proposal by completing the Intent to Submit Form found on the website at http://research.famu.edu and faxing, hand delivering or e-mailing us. We can assist you in developing your budgets, facilitating collaborations and determining timeframes for the completion of your proposal and subsequent approval / submission.
- Submit full proposals to the OSP at least six (6) business days prior to the agency's deadline (receipt/postmark) date. If the proposal consists of several budgets, a consortium or multiple-year funding, please submit proposal to the OSP at least (10) business days prior to the agency's deadline date.Submit an advance copy of the proposal and/or budget to your Sponsored Research Representative by fax or e-mail. You may also hand deliver this information. An early review of the budget can prevent delays later and problems can be identified and corrected before the final proposal is ready.
- PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT PROPOSALS DIRECTLY TO THE FUNDING AGENCY. OSP IS RESPONSIBLE FOR DISTRIBUTION OF THE PROPOSAL TO THE FUNDING AGENCY. PROPOSALS ARE SUBMITTED EITHER BY COMMERCIAL CARRIER FOR NEXT DAY DELIVERY OR ELECTRONICALLY, IF REQUIRED.
- Submit the Proposal Review Transmittal Form (PRTF) along with the Proposal and the agency guidelines. The PRTF must have the appropriate signatures prior to submission to OSP.
- Ensure that the cover page/face page of the proposal is signed by Timothy E. Moore , Ph.D., Vice President for Research, and not by the PI.
- Organize sections of the proposal according to the agency guidelines.
Important Facts On:
- The authorized institutional representative is the only person who may commit the University to contractual obligation (as it relates to research).
- The authorized representative is Timothy E. Moore, Ph.D., Vice President for Research.
- The “applicant” or “applicant organization” and “legal name of institution” is Florida A&M University (FAMU), acting for and on behalf of the FAMU Board of Trustees.
- The mailing address is:
Florida A&M University
Division of Research
Office of Sponsored Programs
1700 Lee Hall Drive
400 Foote- Hilyer Administration Center (FHAC)
Tallahassee , Florida 32307
- Make sure your budget is detailed, complete and reflects the funds necessary for the completion of the project.
- If no budget form is provided by the agency, include in your budget the applicable line items:
|Equipment||Total Direct Costs|
|Participant Cost||Total Budget (Direct & Indirect Costs)|
- Provide detailed justification for each line item request in the budget.
- Unless the funding agency specifies, the writer can use discretion in choosing a font/type style.
- A breakdown of costs per year should include allowances for cost increases in future years (personnel, equipment, and supplies). Increase in personnel and tuition should be preceded by the following: subject to university and legislative approval.
- Travel requests should include specifics on the number of persons traveling, destination, airfare, registration costs, and per diem.
- When students are included in the budget, please show the number of hours, number of weeks, number of students, and the rate of pay used in your calculations.
- If stipends will be issued, include the qualifications, i.e. major, academic standing, and G.P.A., as well as when the stipend will be paid and in what amounts.
- Subcontractual agreements (subawards) require the receipt of a copy of the institution's indirect cost rate agreement sheet as well as their institutional fringe benefit rates.
- Indirect costs should be charged against all line items except tuition, scholarships, equipment, construction and each part of a subcontract in excess of $25,000.
- The negotiated indirect cost should be applied to all budgets unless a specific program has placed a ceiling on indirect cost recovery. Written verification is required in such instances.
- Proposals including cost-sharing/match must have written verification and documentation that identifies the committed sources (e.g., account numbers, letters of commitment from outside sources).
Questions? We are happy to serve you. Please call us at (850) 599-3531.