FAMU STARS Assessment Approach
The STARS Approach
Assessment at FAMU is based upon the STARS assessment approach which involves five sequential and precise steps. Each letter of the acronym “STARS” represents an important step that is connected to the next step in a chain that ultimately comes together to contribute to the goal of successfully developing and implementing an effective assessment plan and useful and informative reports. The assessment planning forms at FAMU, therefore, facilitate the documentation of the five steps. Click the links below to access the STARS Assessment Planning Form and Guiding Questions.
STARS Assessment Planning Form
STARS Approach Guiding Questions
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) defines assessment as “a systematic process of documenting and analyzing the effectiveness of the teaching and learning processes to ensure that the expectations and standards are met in fulfilling the mission of FAMU. The process includes monitoring and enhancing the administrative and educational support structure that leads to the continuous quality improvement of FAMU's academic programs and administrative and educational support services." To this end, the Office of University Assessment requires that assessments be documented in order to effectively meet the needs of both external and internal constituents. An effective and efficient system of developing and implementing assessment plans and reporting the results for each academic program and administrative unit is critical to the success of FAMU. Assessment plans enable the Office of University Assessment to clarify student learning expectations as agreed to by all parties concerned, to monitor and document on:
- Improvements in student learning outcomes, both inside and outside the classroom, that is, the outcomes established for both academic and administrative units,
- Institutional effectiveness,
- Performance measurements as required by the institutional budget planning process,
- Progress in the implementation of the University’s Strategic Plan, and
- Compliance with the requirements of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and other specialized accrediting agencies.