Master of Science in Architectural Studies Program Application and Admission Requirements
Typical profiles of candidates for this degree program include but are not limited to:
- Graduates who possess a professional Bachelor of Architecture degree.
- Graduates of a non-professional Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies degree who do not wish to gain licensure.
- Graduates who possess a bachelor's degree in an allied field such as:
- Interior Design
- City Planning
- Industrial Design
- Building Construction and Construction Technology
- Computer Graphics
For admission to the MSArch program, applicants must meet the requirements of the School of Graduate Studies at Florida A & M as well as those of the School of Architecture.
Requirements of the School of Graduate Studies
University Admissions Office
Florida A & M University
Tallahassee, FL 32307
- A 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average covering the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate work
A combined score of 1000 or more on the verbal and quantitative sections of the aptitude test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants are responsible for making arrangements to take the exam and for having the scores sent to Graduate Admissions at the address above.-or-
Possession of a degree in any field at the graduate level from an accredited institution of higher education.
- If a foreign student, an applicant will need to score 550 or better on the TOEFL prior to admittance to the university.
Requirements of the School of Architecture
- Required previous degree and education background: A four-year Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies or an equivalent degree. Students who are missing undergraduate courses required for the BSArch at Florida A & M University will need to complete those courses in addition to the graduate course work.
- Items required of all applicants:
- A letter from the applicant indicating the degree program to which he/she is applying. The letter should briefly explain the applicant's educational and career background, goals, and reasons for selecting the degree program and the School.
- For those requesting advanced placement, samples of recent academic work should be provided. This should include design, research papers, reports, or photos. The samples must be in portfolio form. All of this will be returned to the applicant.
- Three letters of reference from people who can speak knowledgeably about the quality of the applicant's recent work.
- The above material (a-d) should be sent as a single package to facilitate application processing. Please send to:
School of Architecture
Florida A & M University
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4200
- Schedule: The School prefers that students begin the MS Arch program in the fall. For U.S. students, applications will be considered according to the following calendar:
Summer Semester admission Applications received by February 1
Fall Semester admission Applications received by May 1
Spring Semester admission Applications received by November 1
Applications received after these dates will be considered on a space-available basis.
All international students must submit applications by January 15.