- CAFS planting a tree on Earth Day at Blanche Ely High School.
- CAFS students at the Manrrs 2016 conference in Jacksonville, FL.
- FAMU BASE students - Virginia Tech University - April 2016.
- Ag-Discovery gearing up for another year!
- Fall 2015 Graduate!
- Famu Research & Extension Center in Quincy
- Coming in August 2016
- Experience CAFS!
- Coming in August 2016
- » International Agriculture Programs
- » Farmer To Farmer
- » Volunteer Opportunities
- » Other Opportunities
- » Fertilizers Organic and Inorganic
Fertilizers Organic and Inorganic
Date Posted: January 19, 2010
Posting Deadline: Anytime
Location: South Africa
Members of the Agripark cooperatives and their families are dependent on the success of this agribusiness venture for their livelihood. They have identified that undependable provision of fresh and quality vegetables constitute a serious threat to their efforts to increase their income and to expand the business. In addition their knowledge of fertilizers, organic and inorganic (soils) e.g. organic and inorganic, cover crops, conversation tillage salinity control, mulching, soil amendments, etc is extremely limited. It should also be borne in mind that their products are being sold on the open market and that they have to adhere to generally acceptable food safety and health/ environmental health requirements.
Members of the various Agripark cooperatives have also conceded that they have a very limited knowledge of fertilizer management practices including the areas cited above. They are convinced that sound knowledge of the aforementioned will contribute towards the provision of quality fresh vegetables and related food products with due regard for product/ food safety requirements and the environment.
Fertilizers, organic and inorganic (soils) e.g. organic and inorganic, cover crops, conversation tillage salinity control, mulching, soil amendments – basic to intermediate working knowledge of these learning areas and the comprehension to introduce it by members of Khanyisa Vegetable Processing Cooperative (vegetable processing cooperative), Lovedale I Agricultural Cooperative Limited and Lovedale II Agricultural (vegetable production) Cooperative) is required.
- Khanyisa Vegetable Processing Cooperative (vegetable processing cooperative), Lovedale I Agricultural Cooperative Limited and Lovedale II Agricultural (vegetable production) Cooperative) must be equipped with knowledge and information (including the application thereof) of fertilizer management and the related areas of study referred to above.
- They must be able to apply the newly acquired knowledge within their respective cooperatives.
- The newly acquired knowledge must enable the beneficiary cooperatives towards the said practices and ultimately ensure they understand and apply acceptable fertilizer management practices responsibly.
- Knowledge transfer will be taking place through site visits, one-on-one and group meetings as well as the development of information sheets and documents which the volunteer must prepare and submit to the FAMU SA Eastern Cape Office and the beneficiary cooperatives.
In addition, (6) the volunteer will be required to do a presentation of about 20 to 30 minutes on a topic of his/ her choice to a small group of members of the Faculty of Science and Agriculture (academics); this will be scheduled for the second Thursday or Friday of the visit.
Desired Volunteer Qualification(s):
Knowledge of an agribusiness, Fertilizers, organic and inorganic (soils) e.g. organic and inorganic, cover crops, conversation tillage salinity control, mulching, soil amendments, food safety management e.g. food hygiene, integrated pest management (IPM) e.g. pest monitoring/scouting methods, biological controls, pest avoidance methods, certified seeds, weed identification chemical herbicides, insect/mite identification, insecticides/resistance management, chemical application, concise and clear communication skills (graphic presentations, as far as possible, will yield the desired result) and project management.
How to Apply: Please complete and submit the FAMU FTF Volunteer Application to the FTF Program staff.