Center for Viticultural Sciences
The mission of the Center for Viticultural Sciences and Small Fruit Research is to conduct research and provide service and support that will help the viticulture industry in Florida to become a viable industry (Florida Viticulture Policy Act, 1978).
Advances in both veterinary medicine technology and technique are the fuel firing the increased demand for well-trained individuals to work as veterinary technologists.
- » International Agriculture Programs
- » Farmer To Farmer
- » Volunteer Opportunities
- » Other Opportunities
- » Controlled Environmental Seedling Production
Controlled Environmental Seedling Production
Date Posted: January 19, 2010
Posting Deadline: March 31, 2010
Location: Alice, South Africa
Members of the Agripark cooperatives and their families are dependent on the success of this agribusiness venture for their livelihood. They have identified that the limited knowledge of agricultural best practices eg seedling nursery production and related activities constitute a serious threat to their efforts to yield quality seedlings and to increase their income and to expand the business. In addition their knowledge of controlled environment seedling production is extremely limited. It should also be borne in mind that their products are being sold to other cooperatives within the Agripark and the open market and that they have to adhere to generally acceptable quality, safety and health measures for their products and seedling nursery environment.
Members of the various Agripark cooperatives (especially Khanya seedling nursery cooperative) have also conceded that they have a very limited knowledge of controlled environment seedling production practices. They are convinced that sound knowledge of the aforementioned will contribute towards better quality seedlings, a safer and healthier seedling production environment.
Controlled Environment Seedling Production eg fertilizer solutions, growing media, tissue culture, grafting/budding, disease and pest management, greenhouse engineering, heating/cooling systems, irrigation delivery – basic to intermediate working knowledge of these learning areas and the comprehension to introduce it by members of Khanya Agricultural Cooperative (seedling nursery) is required.
- Khanya Agricultural Cooperative (seedling nursery) must be equipped with knowledge and information (including the application thereof) of controlled environment seedling production and related matters referred to above.
- They must be able to apply the newly acquired knowledge within their respective cooperatives.
- The newly acquired knowledge must enable the beneficiary cooperatives towards the said practices and ultimately ensure they understand and apply generally acceptable controlled environment seedling production.
- Knowledge transfer will be taking place through site visits, one-on-one and group meetings as well as the development of information sheets and documents which the volunteer must prepare and submit to the FAMU SA Eastern Cape Office and the beneficiary cooperatives.
In addition, the volunteer will be required to do a presentation of about 20 to 30 minutes on a topic of his/ her choice to a small group of members of the Faculty of Science and Agriculture (academics); this will be scheduled for the second Thursday or Friday of the visit.
Desired Volunteer Qualification(s): Knowledge of an agribusiness, Controlled Environment Seedling Production eg fertilizer solutions, growing media, tissue culture, grafting/budding, disease and pest management, greenhouse engineering, heating/cooling systems, irrigation delivery, integrated pest management (IPM) eg pest monitoring/scouting methods, biological controls, pest avoidance methods, certified seeds, weed identification chemical herbicides, insect/mite identification, insecticides/resistance management, chemical application, concise and clear communication skills (graphic presentations, as far as possible, will yield the desired result) and project management.
How to Apply: Please complete and submit the FAMU FTF Volunteer Application to the FTF Program staff.