Center for Viticultural Sciences
The mission of the Center for Viticultural Sciences and Small Fruit Research is to conduct research and provide service and support that will help the viticulture industry in Florida to become a viable industry (Florida Viticulture Policy Act, 1978).
Advances in both veterinary medicine technology and technique are the fuel firing the increased demand for well-trained individuals to work as veterinary technologists.
Farm to School
FAMU Cooperative Extension Programs, in collaboration with the New North Florida Cooperative, has developed an effective model that both:
- Allows for school districts to incorporate fresh, locally and regionally grown fruits and vegetables into school meal programs.
- Addresses the specific needs and capabilities of small-scale farmers to cultivate schools as markets for agricultural products.
The collaborative program is participatory and involves group activities, farmer-to-farmer training, and "real farm" demonstration/pilot projects.
Training areas include: Alternative Enterprise Development, Alternative Production Practices, Marketing Strategies, Post-harvest Handling, Packaging, and Distribution Logistics.
Actual hands-on activities and pilot projects provide not only for enhanced knowledge and skill building, but also create real economic opportunities for enterprise diversification and market development.
Program activities have been conducted with rural and urban school districts serving over one million school children in:
Market trials, or pilots, and full-year deliveries have been conducted with such products as:
Leafy Greens (Collards, Turnips) Strawberries
Sweet Potatoes Blackberries
Green Beans Muscadine Grapes
Southern Peas and Beans Watermelon
Individual farmers and producers groups have been trained in:
- Alternative Enterprise Production and Management
- Quality Control Requirements
- Value-Added Processing and Packaging
- Distribution and Transportation Logistics
- Labor Training and Management
School Food Service Personnel have been trained in:
- Procurement Procedures
- Menu Planning
- Fresh Produce Storage and Preparation
Florida School Pilot 2011
Youth Agricultural Entrepreneurship
Farm to School Academy