Center for Viticultural Sciences
The mission of the Center for Viticultural Sciences and Small Fruit Research is to conduct research and provide service and support that will help the viticulture industry in Florida to become a viable industry (Florida Viticulture Policy Act, 1978).
Advances in both veterinary medicine technology and technique are the fuel firing the increased demand for well-trained individuals to work as veterinary technologists.
Shortly after its founding, FLORIDA AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL UNIVERSITY (FAMU) became the beneficiary of educational provisions for African Americans made possible through the passage of the Second Morrill Act of 1890. Through this important federal legislation, FAMU, formerly known as the “State Normal College for Colored Students,” was designated to receive a land grant “to the endowment and support of branches of learning as related to agriculture and mechanic arts, including military tactics.” However, unlike the 1862 predominantly white counterpart institutions, FAMU and the other sixteen 1890 historically black colleges were not given any resources to carry out the research and development areas of the land-grant tripartite system until 1966. As a result, the school was relegated to teaching without the benefits of research and extension funds from either the federal or state governments.
Under this act, the institution became a part of a national community of colleges and universities that received funding from the federal government annually, beginning in 1967 for research and beginning in 1972 for both research and extension. The 1890 colleges and universities were not allowed to participate in the receipt of formula (research and extension) funds until 1977, when they along, with Tuskegee Institute (University), were written into the Food Security Act of 1977 via a bill sponsored by U.S. Congressman Frank E. Evans and Senator James B. Allen.
This historic legislative transaction was important to the institution and made it possible to build what was destined to become an academic giant on a hilltop known as “Highwood” back in the 19th century, and the “Highest of Seven Hills” in Tallahassee, Florida today. Also, this federal act made it possible to add the A&M to the school’s name and transform a state normal school into the world renown, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University. The mechanical arts and agricultural programs established in 1891 have developed progressively under the umbrella known today as the College of Engineering Sciences, Technology and Agriculture (CESTA) at FAMU.
The components of CESTA’s tripartite concept of the land-grant mission includes the following: a) Academic Programs; b) Research and Technology; c) Cooperative Extension and Outreach; d) International Agricultural Programs; and e) Navy ROTC. Thus, CESTA has truly become the land-grant arm of Florida A&M University.
Division of Academic Programs
Division of Research Programs
Cooperative Extension and Outreach Programs
Division of Naval Science
Office of International Agricultural Programs